an $800 computer

badninja3 said:
POWER SUPPLY(idk, something for around $35)

NO! don't get a $35 PSU! they're crap. you're going to need a good psu to power everything, and make sure it's good enough. most $30 psu's crap out and ruin the whole system after about a month. make sure you read the reviews on newegg or wherever you're going to buy from, to see how everything is

I have a 40 dollar PSU and it's lasted me over a year perfectly, although he is going to need more wattage, either way a 60 dollar PSU and up would probably be fine.

A $1000 budget is alright for a Socket 939. Myself, I have to spare $2221.80 for my first AM2 board.

The setup is looking decent.

no, dont get AM2, get a Conroe. Seriously, Intel is going to have the crown on July 23rd. Dont blow 2K on a setup that will get you 5-7% improvement.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817171008
^ COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power 713001180 600W Power Supply - Retail
how's that?

also, does am2 handle 4 sticks of ram well?
(if it does, then i will get 2x512mb for now. if not, then im going 2x1gb)

oh, and whats the importance of L2 cache? whats the difference between 512kb and 1mb. if the difference is that big, i will spend the extra $30 for a x2 4000+

anyway, here's the base of my system:

~$300 CPU (x2 3800+ am2)

~$130 RAM (Gskill 2x512 mb ddr2 800)

~$140 MOBO (MSI am2 SLi)

~$150 GPU (nVidia 7600GT)

that right there is ~$720 which becomes about $800 after tax, shipping, etc.

then i have $200 for everything else... case, psu, etc. i can use the mouse, keyboard, hdd, monitor that i already have for now.

ownage said:
no, dont get AM2, get a Conroe. Seriously, Intel is going to have the crown on July 23rd. Dont blow 2K on a setup that will get you 5-7% improvement.
(srry for the double post, i thought my last one was long enough) :D

for me, it will be WAY MORE than a 5-7% gain. im coming from a athlonXP 1.7ghz, 512mb pc2100 ram. um, geforce2 32mb onboard video, broken onboard sound :) , 5200rpm hdd at 66mbps. etc.

yugiohstrife said:
he is obviously talking out of his arse because websurfing hardly uses that much ram let alone any task hes going to do therefore making most of that ram a waste and Arrizx is right, windows doesnt recognise that much. if you wanna go fast, get quality over quantity, if not abit of both. :cool:
When I mentioned 5g I was joking..........I was thinking about the movie hackers when the chic had a laptop with 5g's of ram. And as for windows not reconising it, maybe he wont use windows : ) and even if websurfing dosent use near that much it isnt like it wouldnt help :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom