I have a genuine product key, but currently run an illegal one

SCA said:
Joxley1990, you've hit the nail on the head! What a palava it is, eh? We're both in this one together. Have you ever had a legitimate product key or are you an outlaw :p !

I think I will cross my fingers and contact my old friends at Microsoft. They've always been nice to me before.

No, I've got the legit product key, just not for this disc. I lost my other disc, and MS would not give me another disc, nor key. So I just downloaded this, and banged it on.

I just had to get on my computer that night, I had just built it, and had to try it out.

It was all working fine, until 8-9 days ago, I updated Windows, and got all this..it's so annoying, I mean look at this..

When you type your password, you get a box, saying you need to contact MS, and the "Continue" button is locked out for about 15 seconds!

I have bought a legit copy now, just backing up 21GB worth of stuff! Grrr!

Here is some info from MS (Australia) that might be helpful.

In regards to the readers comment below about being able to purchase an authentic software XP pro key via the Microsoft website, this is designed to help customers who unknowingly acquired counterfeit versions of Windows XP software, by offering those who qualify a complimentary copy or electronic license key for a genuine copy of Windows XP.

The offers are available worldwide for Windows XP Pro and Home customers who mistakenly acquired counterfeit software. Qualifying customers, who fill out a counterfeit report, provide proof of purchase, and send in their counterfeit CD's may receive a genuine copy at no cost. Customers may also purchase an electronic license of Windows XP Home for AUD$158 (GST Inclusive) or Windows XP Pro for AUD$238 (GST Inclusive), or from their favourite local resellers.

Customers who qualify for the complimentary offer will receive a copy of Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP in the mail within four to six weeks of their order. The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit contains a CD with a new 25-character Product Key. Customers should reinstall their Windows and reactivate their PCs using the CD and the new Product Key

Customers who request the electronic license offer will receive via email, upon confirmation of payment, their new 25-character Product Key and instructions on how to download the Windows Product Key Update Tool. Customers will also receive a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP CD via postal mail within two to four weeks of their confirmed order.

I hope this helps to clarify things. You can find further information here. .

Cheers,
- Anne Flanagan (for Microsoft Australia)

off topic, sorry: joxley, how did u get ur welcome screen to look like that? or is that normal for xp Pro?

Well that stuff you encounter during login is understandable. Windows XP is expensive (still) and every illegal copy they use, the more money they lose. And please don't go on bashing about how they have money and all that. Sure, Bill Gates may be the world's richest man, but he's just a good businessman.

C'mon guys...all you have to do is borrow a friend's xp disc and use it as long as you have your own legal cd key. It doesn't matter what cd key goes with what disc. If you have a legal cd key, you can use any xp disc.

Can't really say it's fun there too. Contact Microsoft. I'm sure they can help you.

Although, I'm relaxing...my Windows Server CD Key is Genuine :cool:

Can't you just borrow a XP disc from somebody and re-install??? I know thats a pain but at least you wouldn't have any of the stuff appearing on your pc anymore.

Also there is a program called keyfinder that lets you change your product key within XP. Just google it and give it a try. Then run it select the change product key from the dropdown list, enter your legit code then pay the microsoft website a visit and run the genuine advantage program again. This should then show your pc as running a legit copy of XP.

If none of these options help then the only one left is to phone Microsoft and explain the situation.

Then you need to find somebody who owns a legit copy of XP and ask them nicely if you can have a copy. It's not illigal to backup a copy of the legit disc as long as you have a legit product code. It's the product code you buy not the software.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom