Would this be ok for just a multi use pc

kaliko22

Solid State Member
AMD Athlon 64 x 2 3800+ Manchester
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (4 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model
ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply
SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black ATA/ATAPI Model SH-S162L/BEBN

I have an extra burner from my pc now along with my 2 hard drives and an old 9600 radeon pro 128mb.. I dont own a single pc game but I do a lot of video editing, and I probably will never seriously game on PC... I have a amd 3000+ 64 right now and its lasted me almost three years so wanted to stick with amd.... My Pc is having major crashing issues and hard drives keep getting corrupted. Motherboard beeps constantly... Im tired of reinstalling windows over and over again .. never built my own ordered of cyberpower a few years back... would this all work well together to be a pc thats worth a grand? any advice would be appreciated.. Im dying to just click on the checkout button at newegg but need some advice first.... Thanks

Well if your hard drives are getting corrupted then you probably don't want to use them in your next PC. For no gaming, an Athlon 64 x2 3800+ is a bit much, but it will save you from having to upgrade your CPU for a while.

Overall the PC is very good, and you should be able to do everything but game pretty well, although a 9600 is not that bad a card.

I feel it's a great computer. Wow, lightscribe burner too. Those are nice, but you need to get lightscribe media I think to take advantage of the feature. Overall, it's good for everything and more. You need to get a video card for it. A 7800GS will be great without the extra high cost.

He says he has a 9600 from his old PC, I assumed he was using that, either way why did you suggest a 7800GS when he said he doesn't even own a single PC game?

The PC's decent. You could use your two hard drives to see what happens. I bet they'd work...or have bad sectors. Overall, go for it. It's worth it.

I tend to get a little carried away with some of my suggestions sometimes :p. I'm always trying to get the best or what's better for other people on here. I didn't even read the part how he doesn't do gaming. The 7800GS is a nice performance card if he still want to consider it. If you do a lot of video editing, the only thing I see that pops out is the need for large storage so get a high capacity drive that suits you.

The 9600 Pro is AGP only so it won't work with the SLI motherboard you're looking at because it's PCI-Express. Becides, such a old GPU with a dual-core will have some bottlenecking issues. Find a 7600 or X1300 or X1600 depending on your budget. Those are PCI-Express and they'll work fine with your 3800+ and what you're planning to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom