AMD opteron

kyleman999 said:
Look at my sig and that gives you guys an idea of what kind of rig i got rightnow
i'm planning to upgrade near late summer and i was wondering if i should get an opteron, i saw their benchmarks and it looks good
if not i was gonna get an X2 what you guys think?

Since you live near to me, I would suggest getting an AMD Athlon 64 X2. The FX is pure godness, and if you can afford it, go for it.

The 165's are nice if you get a good stepping. Just make sure you get a motherboard that can handle a high FSB. Atleast 300mhz. That's the problem with mine, my processor can overclock higher but the motherboard won't let me.

Amish kid, hate to say it but benchmarks don't mean much until it's actually released.

*weeps* Still can't believe how AMD managed to make an entirely new socket and completely screw it up.

The chipset isn't the real limitation to overclocking, the motherboard and cpu are biggest, if you have a very OCable CPU much like the Opteron, and a motherboard (DFI would be best for overclocking, if not them than Abit) then its the matter of cooling, and power. If you want to see a few 939 Motherboards that would be best for overclocking in your case, just post all specifications the motherboard needs to meet.

Well, MS is right, but also, the northbridge chipset must me appropriatelly cooled too.

Yeah thats all what I meant about cooling, everything not just the CPU, although you will want one hell of a good heatsink (Zalman!)

Back
Top Bottom