Can't get Networked computers to share files

braindead5400

Beta member
Ok, so let me explain my situation.

I'm trying to link up some computers in my network so that they can share files. They are all hooked up to the same router (wired) and they can all access the internet. I ran the network setup wizard in XP pro on all the computers. They all have different names and they all belong to the same workgroup. When I go to "view computers in workgroup" I can see the computers I've set up, but clicking on them gives me an error saying that it cannot access the other computers. I've checked all of them to see if file sharing is on and all of them have it working. I know they are all hooked up right because I can go to one computer and see all the others, I just can't access them. If anyone knows whats going on I'd greatly appreciate some help. Thanks.

You need to make a folder on each of the computers, that is a shared folder. Right click on it, select Sharing and Security. configure it in there. and do this on all computers networked.

I already have shared folders on all the computers. I just created a new one and it still won't let me access any of the computers but I see them just fine.

Disable windows firewalls and / or any other firewalls.

This solves the problem 99% of the time.

Sometimes manually allowing file sharing does not "take" , the solution I have found is to enable File and Printer sharing via the network wizard on all pc's.

Deathstar said:
Sometimes manually allowing file sharing does not "take" , the solution I have found is to enable File and Printer sharing via the network wizard on all pc's.

Network wizard was already run on all the computers without any luck. I'm going to try disabling firewalls when I get back tomorrow

make sure you turn them back on afterwards and if it still buggers up then try and set it up to allow the file sharing to take place. if you do not have a firewall then you are at risk to all sorts of crap

Hmm, I remember having a problem with this sort of thing a while ago. I looked up the MS Knowledge Base and there was infact an original networking problem in Windows XP. Altho they may have released a fix (I'm not particularly sure if they did or not) it's still a good idea to try the following. You havent stated what versions of Windows you are using or what updates you have installed, but your problem sounds extreamly similar to my own.

Believe it or not, the only way round this problem (without any updates, which were non-existant when I last looked - lol, to be honest that was a long time ago) is to install the combined IPX/SPX/NetBIOS protocols on all the machines for the network adapters. I'm guessing you know how to install additional protocols so i'll leave you to try this out.

Many of you might think this sounds a bit controversal, but it's worked a many of time for me. Give it a go and let us all know if it works or not.

[EDIT]
Mind the reputation if it helps

It ushally helps for me if you don't use a firewall and any other programme that blocks any incoming iP'S

Back
Top Bottom