Backup up your CDs is now illegal

OK...
here is my take on the matter...
I buy CD's, not just a few, I've literally got thousands of pounds invested in CD's, I've got hundreds of the buggers...

Since about two years ago, every CD I've bought has only been take out of it's case once.

I buy the CD, I take it home, and rip it to my PC whilst reading the inlay (if there is one).
I then take the CD out of the cd drive, put it back in it's case and put it on the shelf... it never gets touched again.

in fact until this christmas I didn't even have a home stero system,
I had a radio and that was it.

IMO, if the RIAA want to protect their copyright then they should use a different format,
I have a Nokia Ngage phone, one of the games for that phone I have is a demo, it's on an SD card, yet it can't be coppied effectivly, and the card can't be erased and re-used.

in all fairness is the people (whoever made the game I forget), can take an existing (and cheap!) technology such as SD cards, AND make them pretty copy proof at a cheap enough price that they can then give them away as demos then I see no reason why this massive industry lobbying power can't do the same,

Cassettes are dead, minidisk is dead, viynl is dead (all except for new music to be played on new decks!). there is no reasons that CD's can't go the way of the do-do either...

but if i get what u r saying, if they like screw off CD's and only auido files are available, they are easier to manipulate on a computer. like if i am correct, you could open it up with a hex editor and hack it to make it more like....idk...um, be able to copy and such....

yes.. but you could still do that with a CD anyway...

there are two troubles...
firstly anything on a CD is just data, a series of pits on a shiny metal disc an this can be easily replicated.

secondly, even if they destroyed all the CD burners in the lands, music is literally just a signal, and it can be recorded on a PC< fair enough there is losses and distortions, but for the most part they aren't noticable and people won't care!

If it was to be illegal in Canada, I couldn't care less. your own work and stuff. Mind your own business and go hang yourself govrments.

lhuser said:
If it was to be illegal in Canada, I couldn't care less. your own work and stuff. Mind your own business and go hang yourself govrments.
Lol :eek: It won't stop many people because downloading music and movies and other stuff through torrents and p2p and all that is illegal, yet there are many people that do it... I'm not saying to do it or anything... just pointing it out :)

Back
Top Bottom