Various Heat lowing methods/hardware

Toxicwboy

Baseband Member
Just wondering in general what are some various heat lowing things you can do, cause im thinking about overclocking but I don't want to melt my graphics card. My friend has been there done that.

So far my knowledge is:

Heatsinks
Liquid cooling
Fans

What are some other hardware bits I can use and how efficent is liquid cooling? How hard is it to rig up? And would I rather just buy numerous amounts of fans instead of liquid cooling?

Much thanks if you could help ;)

Room tempature would be important factor as well. If you really feel brave enough i've seen a freezer modiffied of course to prevent water particles from forming and a PC case put inside of it with air flow fans only, and liquid cooling. I also I have had talks about cooling and if you go liquid make sure you have a back up air system, don't rely on that liquid to keep your PC cool, if it were to fail you'd be screwed.

This method is somewhat ghetto, but it works great. My hard drive and cpu were getting up to 50-60c on certain games and programs. Instead of installing more fans I just took off the side of the case and put one of those little desk fans next to it. The fan keeps the hard drive down to 32c and the cpu hovers around 40c now. The fan is kept pretty low so it doesn't add too much to sound pollution. If things get really hot then I just kick the fan up a notch.

It only costed me 10 bucks, compared to 15 bucks for a good 120mm fan. It also doesn't suck power away from my motherboard either! Best of all, It keeps the inside of my case free of big bulky fans!! Like I said, this a ghetto, but effective! Good luck!

Interesting idea....what about dust collection and the risk of exposing the organs of your computer though? =\

lol, my friend's pc has never had a closed case.. been open for years now... my pc used to have a 21" wind tunnel fan.. so loud.. but quite effective.

i find it to just be annoying to have a big fan next to my comp, just have some good intake fans and exaust fans and u should be fine, also neaten up all that cables, i flipped my psu over recently so i had all the cables at the back and i routed them through the case and it helped my temps

Dust doesn't really harm it if you clean the dust out often. With the side of the case off you would just have to clean the case out more than usually. Also make sure nothing is against your case so the fans can circulate the air properly.

I'm thinking i'm going to need to clean the cables up in my case, then get a 120mm fan for the front.. gotta improve air flow and lower the temps of my hard drives. :)

el oh el. A friend of mine made an open case out of 2x4s... needless to say he got a real case the next day.

Back
Top Bottom