File fails to open

Berne

In Runtime
Hi All,

I scanned some files months ago, they were created using the paint programe of XP HE, problem is now months later when I try to open the files I find they may have been reformated, well I really mean I get this message
' Paint cannot open this file, as its not a vaild bitmap file or its format is not supported, is there anyone who can advise me on how I can open, convert, but most of all save these files from the recycle bin...?

According to the properties of these files they are all now MSPaper.document files, is there a way to convert or open these files which were all images scanned into my harddrive. I suspect a conflict has occurred and in the process changed the type or format of these files, this is all I can offer, but perhaps someone out there will offer a solution...?

Regards,

Berne :confused:

if they are in the recycle bin then open the recycle bin and click restore all items on the left hand side. then right click on a picture and go to properties. then go to change and choose windows fax and picture viewer.

welcome to cf btw! :D

Hi 1234,

You misunderstood my intention...the files would only end up in the bin if I cannot save them, so reading again you will see the main issue is either converting the files to a format which will open restoring the images to orginal or finding a programe which will open the files as they are now.

Bye for now ,

Berne...

hmmm in confused, sorry. so you are trying to scan in an image into your pc. you try to save it and it goes automatically to the recycle bin? or are you trying to save the files in paint? im confused sorry! does sound like some sort of conflict though, like youve installed another picture manager.

Hi Dude1234,

From the top once more:
1. I scanned a lot of documents using standard twain software, all files were then put onto my harddisk.

2. Viewing these files was no problem using any conventional Image software, ie. paint, picasa, ect

3. A few months go by, like most people I add programes, delete programes, run reg cleaning maintenance ect

4. One morning I browse to open some of these files and I see they have all been converted to another unfamiliar format....of course I click on a file but nothing happens apart from a message stating that the file ( and thus all these image files ) are not compatible with MSoft paint...software, but the message also says that paint is the programe which should open these files and yet when I right click on one of the files and browse to 'open with' and select MS paint still no joy...?

5. Now, although I am stumped somewhat on this issue I suspect that during loading or deleting new programes that a conflict has occurred causing all these image files to how can I put it freeze?

6. What can be done here, as you will appreciate I want to save the files or I would just delete them, but having checked my backup, I now see that when this particular folder of image files loads, the same action is performed, its almost as if the files are being converted as soon as my computer recognises them?

7. I can only ask the gurus of this forum what their thoughts are without 'if I may', using heavy technical jargon, I am only new to computing although I will try out any suggested fixes and tweaks.

8. I have been browsing this forum for other threads which may mirror my predicament but to date nothing has been found to undo the issue at hand.

9. I have seen several mentions of a programe known as DAEMON, can someone explain simply what this invention is and if it may lead me to new light?

10. Lastly Dude I see you suggest I may have a confilct with another picture editor, this could very well be the case, I recall now that in recent times the issue of file conversion arose in my mind and I installed picasa, although when I cut and paste one of the above image files into the picasa software again there is no result, but you are right I have recently downloaded and since deleted three picture editors that were not to my satisfaction, in the event and looking ahead what advice have you on this possible conflict for a remedy?

All the best dude1234 for now,

Berne... :confused:

Just rename the extension to .bmp or .jpeg from whatever it is now. It sounds as though one of your installed/uninstalled programmes has "taken over" your image file associations. What is the extension these files are being changed to???

i would first of all make sure all other editing programs are fully uninstalled and all files are removed. id also try to open them with microsoft picture and fax viewer as i said above instead of paint. deathstars idea is good. to check what extension they have got simply click on my documents or my computer, whatever. then go to tools and folder options. then go to view. then make sure the "hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked. post back what extensions they are. the extensions could of been changed to .png or something and paint may not like that.
as far as i know deamon is a program to do with cds, dvds, creating cd images etc..

What I would try is to see if Adoebe Photoshop, or even trying hosting the image at www.imageshack.us would work.

If it opens from Adobe or the image works well with uploading, I'd say Paint has been a little damaged. I would go into the Windows XP installation and uninstall Pain. Afterwards, reinstall it.

Hi All,

After some considerable tweaking ( newbie mode ), I finally got the files to open, remedy was renaming the file extensions and unchecking the file options within ' folder options ', also I suspect downloading three image editors contributed to a conflict, wow its so difficult to retain data!

A large thank you to all contributers.

Berne...

Back
Top Bottom