HDD Password????

bob1888cfc

Solid State Member
Hi guys new to the forum and this is my first post, i recently bought a Toshiba Equium M70-173 Laptop, whilst i wan on holiday my brother had use of the laptop and managed to set a password on it, i managed to reset that by removing the internal battery, cmos, but now when i boot up its coming up with a hdd password, i dont have one set on it and i cant get round it all, phoned toshiba and they were useless, so i was wondering if any you wizards out there could help me out??? Any info is more than i know, ive searched all over net to no joy so i hope somewhere here can help.

Boab

Once you removed the battery, that should have solved the issue. Not unless this is one of those company-type laptops that are pre-built with a default BIOS password. As soon as you boot the laptop, it wants a password? Toshiba may be the only one able to help you with that one. I've only seen one or two of those types in my whole technical career. It's rare, but they are out there. I would call Toshiba back, and ask them if that model was built with a pre-installed password for the hard drive. If they can't help you with that, I'm not sure what to tell you. Then again, these types of things aren't usually discussed here, because technically, it's like breaking into the laptop, and it has a password for a reason. If it's at the BIOS level, installing Windows is out of the question. Sorry I'm not much help.

Installing windows is what I suggest, but like mike said, if it's a bios problem it's out of the question.

Being brand new it should be ok to re-install windows without losing any valuable information.

Call toshbia and if they don't help you and its a default HD password get ruff and spit the lawyer talk

"How much do you think my lawyer would consider my lost data to be worth to me"

Toshbia has been sued for their HDs before, I know my dad got a nice fat 1,000 check from them.

Bob - do you mean a password that comes on as soon as you put the laptop on? Or one within Windows?

bob1888cfc said:
Hi guys new to the forum and this is my first post, i recently bought a Toshiba Equium M70-173 Laptop, whilst i wan on holiday my brother had use of the laptop and managed to set a password on it, i managed to reset that by removing the internal battery, cmos, but now when i boot up its coming up with a hdd password, i dont have one set on it and i cant get round it all, phoned toshiba and they were useless, so i was wondering if any you wizards out there could help me out??? Any info is more than i know, ive searched all over net to no joy so i hope somewhere here can help.

Boab
As a mod, I'm going to ask you a straightforward questiion, & need a straightforward answer, is the laptop yours, or is it the property of a school/college, I ask this of every new member as some join just to find out how to bypass security protocols, & make up stories in order to get this information, please answer truthfully & very soon, or my suspicions will be aroused, & I may permanently ban you, if your request is genuine, you have nothing to fear.

Not every question a member may have are illegal unless you have proof of that, we as Mods should try to respect the question of other's unless it raises a red flag.When someone needs help, most of the time it's in need, if we give the wrong impression to our member's who are in need ...We are labeled.

~mr mixx~ said:
Not every question a member may have are illegal unless you have proof of that, we as Mods should try to respect the question of other's unless it raises a red flag.When someone needs help, most of the time it's in need, if we give the wrong impression to our member's who are in need ...We are labeled.
Yes I hear what you're saying, but can I ask one critical question?, why hasn't he come forward, it's been a week now, of course, he may be on vacation.

Maybe..Seems everone is on or taking vacation.I have two weeks coming up soon, and i can't wait, i want to do some swimming and maybe even try to water-ski ...we'll see what happens...lol

Back
Top Bottom