PCI-E 6600GT VGA Cooler...Well; Melted! Need a new one.

Wiredchild

In Runtime
Alright, i have no idea how this happened...

Simply, i had a spare evening the other night so i thought i'd take the oppourtunity to clean my PC out as it's been a good 6 months since i have.

So, opened my PC and i was like crap; my graphics card fan was hanging off and had quite clearly, well...How can i say it; melted itself!

Anyway, i was pretty worried that the card was screwed however it's all fine. Took the fan off, which was well and truly melted and burnt (It had melted itself off its connector to the heat sink!) and the processor underneath 'looks' absolutely fine. Well, it must be as i was using my PC all day before i even discovered this. I don't OC by the way if that's what your thinking!

Considering i've got no idea when the fan killed itself i can only assume the processor has been surviving fine just with the heatsink! My only explanation is that the heatsink was packed with a fair amount of dust and the fan may have got clogged and was prevented from spinning? This seems stupid considering it's only been six months or so since i've cleaned it and how often does the average PC user clean inside their PC; never!

...Anyway, i won't run my PC until i get a new fan/heatsink. I don't want to spend too much (no more than £20-£30 at most!) and i need it quick. This is the 6600GT i've got:
http://www.gainward.net/products/product.php?products_id=37

I have no idea what to get and i need to make sure it's compatible and reasonably quiet...What do you recommend?

Thanks
WiredChild

Seen that one about...Looks ok but a bit well 'simple'. Was intending to go a little more adventerous as i'd like to get new fans for all of my PC really, but get really really nice ones.

I quite like the look of the Zalman ones, what you all think? Which ones are compatible?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom