Networking Puzzle

Glyn

Beta member
Hi
I have a small hub network of 12 computers. OS is Win 2000 sp4. They are Ghosted from one machine and that m/c was setup to obtain an IP address automatically. However there is no DHCP server on the system, despite this they seem to be getting a correct 10.0.0.x address and are able to access the printer. How is this possible!!!!
Glyn

This is normal, But all computers would need to be manually assigned. If you have ever seen a 169 ip, those can work in the same way. If you manually assign 169 ip's to all the computers, you would be able to network them as well. Though I would not recommend it, it is possible. Chances are, its not a hub its a switch. Hence why this is possible. A switch can xfer packets to all computers attached.

Hi UID=[0]
Thanks for the reply, they are definitly hubs. The 'Network places - properties setting is "Obtain IP automatically" so would therefore need a DHCP server to be running; there isn't one. When using ipconfig in the command prompt they all have a correct 10.0.0.x address, which were the addresses when we set them statically. I'm wondering if somehow, perhaps in the registery there is a way of giving the computer a static IP address even though its set to DHCP, although we have not touched this.
None of the computers are getting APIPA 169 addresses.
Its a real puzzle!!!!
Thanks Glyn

Back
Top Bottom