Turion64 Dual Core w/ DDR2

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Let's talk about laptop CPU's for a change. AMD has just released their first ever Dual Core Turion's that support DDR2!! The socket S1 Turion 64 X2s are available in four versions: TL-50 (1.6 GHz), TL-52 (1.6 GHz), TL-56 (1.89 GHz) and TL-60 (2 GHz).

The first one sports 256 KB of L2 cache per core and the others have 512 KB. The new processors are the first AMD ones supporting DDR2 memory (up to 667 MHz). Power consumption goes from 31 W (TL-50 and TL-52) to 35 W (TL-60). The old Turions like the one I have is weak. Power consumption is off the wall. THis new release should improve and you have a faster processor.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_13909_13913,00.html

Umm yeah, old news. X-bit had a news article on it last week. It's good seeing AMD finally joining in the mobile dual-core bandwagon, but there are some weaknesses to the Turions already.

Not enough cache. The Core Duo (Yonah/Merom) has two to four times the cache that the Turion does. I think I'll stick with Intel for mobile computing.

Lol, jeez kinda harsh Alvino? I'm sure lots of people haven't heard about that yet. Looks good for AMD. Hopefully they'll step it up!

alvino said:
Umm yeah, old news. X-bit had a news article on it last week. It's good seeing AMD finally joining in the mobile dual-core bandwagon, but there are some weaknesses to the Turions already.

Not enough cache. The Core Duo (Yonah/Merom) has two to four times the cache that the Turion does. I think I'll stick with Intel for mobile computing.

LOL, last week is old news? Man, this is new stuff though. I knew Intel would be better but I jumped on the AMD bandwagon and got a Turion. What a dissapointment. Even the Pentium M Centrino was attractive.

Well we're here to talk and speculate about the new AM2 processor, lol, not talk about how great the Intel Core Duo is. Oh yeah, your sig is more 5 lines man. You need to shorten it.

Umm, the Turion X2 isn't Socket AM2. It's Socket S1. Completely different.

What resolution are you running? I'm at 1680x1050 and it's 4 lines for me, so that's what I'm going with.

PerfectSK, Alvino here has been on this forum for ages, he well knows what the rules are. Let the mods do their work. And yes, Turion X2 is S1 not AM2

Back
Top Bottom