Having trouble deciding - Dell Inspiron 640m or 710m?

Hi everyone thanks for the replies!!

I just thought I'd mention that the 640m is about $1090USD and the 710m is $1224USD.

So far...everyone has said the 640m. I know the 640m has much better features with the duo core processor, ram, hdd and all that. It's also cheaper than the 710m. The only thing that's keeping me from buying the 640m is the fact that the 710m weighs a lot less!!

The thing is, I don't want to buy the 640m then realise that it's too heavy to take around with me. The 710m is only 4.1lbs, are its specs that bad? I thought the 1.7Ghz processor was ok lol.

Battery life isn't a big thing for me because everywhere I go there is an AC outlet I can use.

Thanks for the laptop suggestions ArizzX and PerfectSK but Newegg doesn't ship to Australia and I can't find those laptop models here in Australia.

Weight is pretty much the main issue for me.

Thanks again for the replies and keep them coming!:)

To tell you the truth, I dont like the Pent M all that much. On my moms laptop, it doesnt save power like it says it does, unless you turn the brightness on the screen down. Also, every so often it cant keep up with its self, and starts to lagg.

And core duo is 65nm, and that means that you get MUCH better battery life. That is pretty important when getting a portable machine. And even the dell comes wtih a bit bigger and better battery.

Dual core will suit you much better than the P-M. The Core Duo consumes almost the same amount of power as the P-M and you get basically twice the amount of processing power. Core Duo all the way.

Yeah the Core Duo does sound good but as I said before, weight is pretty much the main issue here. Its not so much battery life because my house to the bus stop is a fair walk and from the bus stop to other bus stops, library etc is a fair walk. I don't want to be exhausted from carrying the laptop (640m) if its too heavy.

I think I'm leaning towards the 710m (even though its more $$$) purely because I'm just not fully convinced that the 640m's features are worth that extra weight!

Thanks so much for everyones opinions so far again! Much appreciated, if anyone has anything else to say please post!:)

lol thanks but the processor is a tad slow for my liking. I don't want to compromise TOO many features for weight. Wouldn't the dell 710m be a better option than that Toshiba cos it's 1.7Ghz?

I know, I know I'm very picky its just that when I decide to spend $$ I think about it alot before I actually buy it and I try to get it as close to what I want as possible without over spending.

This must be frustrating for everyone LOL. Has anyone had experience with a 12.1" screen, it's not too small is it?

LOL a 12.1" is not worth getting. Especially if you plan on playing CounterStrike on it. I'm using a 14.1" widescreen and that's the smallest I can handle without going crazy and I don't even play games on my laptop!!! If you're just using it for work and school, then it's fine I guess because it's lighter and small.

1 pound is 6 pounds really that much weight imean come on if its 200 dollars cheaper for a pound of weight take it.

Back
Top Bottom