Removing PCI-Express Video Card

Zorcher

Solid State Member
I'm having a tough problem still solving my video card overheating problem, so I've decided to take it somewhere to have it looked at. However, I'm having a tough time removing the card and instructions I've found say that there is a tab on the right side of the PCI-Express slot that holds the card in place as well as the screw on the left side. Finding instructions on how to remove the card I've had no luck. Anyone willing to help?

Screenshots of my case and video card (Though the tab is not visible in these pics cause it's hard to reach)

case.jpg

top.jpg

bottom.jpg

These pictures also demonstrate my air flow and that it has always been this way. Meaning it hasn't caused my vid card to overheat in the past. Suggestions from friends of mine suggest that I may need some thermal paste on the GPU to solve my problem. Suggestions? Ideas?

At the end of the slot there is a little tab that you have to push down to release the card, you may have to move some of those wires and look with a flashlight. if you can't get your finger in there, just take a small flathead screwdriver and gently push down on the tab (make sure not to break anything on the motherboard). That tab corresponds with a little hook on the card that is intended to keep the card in place.

take the screw out and push down on the tab mentioned above. it should pop right out.

Yup, I wasn't use to the PCI-e video cards in the beginning and got stuck on that too. The little round tab to the right of the card has to be pushed in to get it out. I hate it. Extra work. I notice your chipset heatsink are on cooked, especially the southbridge. Did you put it on that way or are you just about to put it on?

Alright, I was able to get the card out and send it to a shop.

Turns out the thermal paste was NOT making contact with the GPU at all and was causing it to get so hot. They managed to fix the problem and send me on my way. The video card now idles at 65 C GPU temp instead of 93 C and 47 C Ambient instead of 65 C. This problem IS NOW SOLVED! :D

The video card got so hot that the paste on that chip melted and the heatsink slid somewhat off. Now that it got a chance to cool, the heatsink is stuck there and I'm unable to move it.

I don't think it'll make too much of a difference anyway.

Back
Top Bottom