My current view of the Christian religion

it the idea of last minute repenting that gets me, and the idea that you have to accept god in order for there to be a god...

I mean there are three cases here,

1), I'm a good person, I blieve in god an worship I get to go to heaven - and eternal liss and all that jazz

2), I'm a bad person, on my death bed a truly am sorry for al the stuff I stole people i kiled etc, I repent and accept God, I got to heavan

3), I'm a good person, I never do anything wrong in my life, not one sin, but never believe in god, and am there fore eternaly damned!

With all the best will in the world god and religons were invented to answer unanswerable questions, now how true they are is anyones guess, but all religion is is just an un-proovable theory, just like the big bang.

religions were also thought up to help make people be right and or law abiding, so people get the fear of god, they believe that if they steal or kill they are going to anger some god and be eternally damned...
what if you anger this god by living in a house instead of under the sun, what if you anger God by eating meat, or what if you anger him by not eating meat (as this is a bounty provided for you)...

there are so many if, why's if not's, wny nots and buts in religion that I find it impossible to just believe...

as far as I'm concerned religions and gods are all just antiquated hocus pocus to make us do right and non-scientific theory to try to answer the unanswerable.

I recently joined a bible studies group with my church. I wasnt sure if i really wanted to go because i hardly ever used to go to church. i would only go if someone was getting married or something... but i went to give it a try and when i went, i found that the church isnt trying to force God and all that stuff on us, its just trying to make us better people, and by doing that we become closer to God anyways.

and also, with science, i used to be fully into that aspect of things, science has a way of explaining everything... but then when it goes back to the origons of the world, well it can only go so far back. it gets to a point where it says, hey, i cant explain this stuff for you anymore... the begining.. my friends is god =)

I recommend getting the New International Version study Bible. It helps me a lot. The words are sooooooooooo easy to understand compared to the standard King James version with the New Testament. The NIV version also have helpful tips on everyday problems like basc good deeds, marriage issues, committing sins, how to pray, etc. etc. Good stuff. DId I mention that it was also easy to understand and read? It's been rewritten for us younger generations. Kind of like Bible for dummies, but it holds all the original quotes, and ideas of the King James version.

Root, thats what I said, that doesn't make sense to me.

A christians a good person (usually I guess), and so because he believes in god, he goes to a heaven.
Yet someones thats still followed all the rules, yet doesn't believe in god, is sent to a supposed hell.

That seems really mean. At least the person that didn't believe (since theres nothing to suggest theres a god except other peoples sayings to be honest) should be given a chance after dying to believe?

Doesn't god believe in second chances after death then?

What also get's to me are people who are good ONLY because they are Christian, not because they are good people. Then there are people who ARE truly good because thats who they are. I hate people who hide behind religion.

Well I'm not Christian but here are my views on the topic. I think that people needed something to explain why certain things happened, so they devised the idea of a god who controlled everything. They couldn't understand certain things so this was the best way to explain it. Another thing, I feel science is the opposite of religion. Religion is something you're just supposed to believe but science is backed with reasons and can be proved. I believe there is some kind of god out there, because at times, we all are in need of help and believing in god helps us ease through the pain.

Like the famous mathematician Pascal said, if there isn't a god you lose nothing in believing in him. However if there is one, or many, you may lose everything.

^^^ Religion is false IMO and it was origionally used to explain what could not be explained and a way to create rules for people to follow. It's kinda like a communist fear system.

I don't particularly like alot of religion. Religion doesn't accept some people's differences, and alot of religious people consider my life to be a sin.

I am very modern and like to do things the modern way. Religion and state should be seperated, people should be able to believe what they want without influence of the goverment on their own time (Their may be expemtions for groups such as the KKK and fred phelps who commit hate crimes)

Kage said:

A christians a good person (usually I guess), and so because he believes in god, he goes to a heaven.
Yet someones thats still followed all the rules, yet doesn't believe in god, is sent to a supposed hell.

That seems really mean. At least the person that didn't believe (since theres nothing to suggest theres a god except other peoples sayings to be honest) should be given a chance after dying to believe?

U have to understand that there are many forms of Christianity. Some have different kind of opinions about this, some believe that the things that u do don't have any effect, only believing in God can save u.
Then some think that if u do alot of sins and other bad stuff u will not get to heaven because of that.

But still as u said the main think is belief. And I think it has to be, because that is what religion is. It's believing in something supernatural, something that has never been proven to exist.

Brookfield said:
First let me make it quite clear that these views are mine, & mine alone, & I thought for a long time before making this thread, it will become clear why I decided to go ahead, if it causes arguments, I shall close this thread, so, discussion only, I respect other religions, but I'd like it to be between christians only, thankyou.

As a few of you will know, my wife died of cancer some nine years ago, after 40 years of marriage, & day doesn't go by when I don't think of her, sometimes I'm depressed for days.

Now I fully believe that there was a person named Jesus who claimed he was the son of god, apparently quite a few went about saying this, the key factor is that he was crucified, again a fact I believe, he was a good man.The crucifiction put him into prominence, & christendom was born, but that doesn't mean that there is a god, after my wife's death, in my extreme anguish, I refuse to believe in god anymore & I never will.
What I don't want here is councelling, sanctimonious platitudes & the like, just a calm, low-key discussion amongst people with feeling, definitely no facetious remarks, & I don't particularly want members to feel sorry for me, equally I don't wish to offend anybody.
I'm mainly OK now, if I start to feel sorry for myself, I think of the many others who have gone through worse, but I don't thank the lord, I thank my lucky stars.

ok first of you believe in Jesus rite...and all the miracles that he acomplished...have you ever heard of the Trinity (the Father- God, The son - Jesus, and the holy spirit- the holy spirit lol) they are all one....so basicly if you believe in Jesus its like beliveing in God...they are both the same person...its to complicated for the human mind to take but you just gotta think of it that way, As long as your wife belived that Jesus died for her sins so that did not have to go to hell she will be in Heaven...but you can't say that she did or didn't...you can't judge some1 on being a christian or not. But i afraid ultimatly (and no offence) that if she didn't she is in hell...that may be a shock to some poeple. And all people die for a reason...god dosn't just let them die because he can't be bothered trying to save them....any quetions feel free to ask.

Kage said:

Your one and only chane into getting into heaven is on earth...you will have had plenty of oppertunitys by then...you do know that god will only come back when everyone has had a chance to hear about him...and it dosn't mean every single person on earth...it means like braches....so yeh its a bit hard to explain.

Back
Top Bottom