Nik's Workout Plan

but, (pretty much) the only way to get abs to show is to work them pretty mush to desctruction...
(i.e do sit ups till you physically can't do them anymore).

I know that machine weights don't work the core muscles, (that are important for balance and posture, so in that sense it is better to do free weights,
(but however), doing freeweight can help you increase the core muscles that will help guard against back pain and injuries in later life. but doing free weights is a really good way to pull muscles that you houldn't be pulling, (perhaps in your back), (though this would mostly be with bad technique)...

so... for the most part I'd say that machines do help people (in terms of reducing injury).

Also there are some muscle groups that are hard to work without machines.
take weights that you pull down on a puly system, this is simillar to a pull up bar in terns of the movement, however not everyone can lift their own body weight...

certainly when I started going to the gym I found pull ups very hard, however as I've been training on machines I find pull ups a lot easier, and can easily do many more repetitions now.

I have read this with a great deal of interest as training is something that is close to my heart.

I have been training on and off since I was 16, but I let things slide in my twenties, and ended up being 284lb, (20 stone 5lbs) due to too much drinking and partying. I started training again in earnest about 14 weeks ago and I am now 225lb, I am not finished yet, but let me make some comments on what has been said.

First of all before you start training if you have not done any exercise in the past then seek professional medical advice, as a young person between the ages of 12-16 it is not good to hit the heavy weights, as you are still growing and can cause complications in later life.

Before you start training in a gym seek advice from the trainer, listen to them and take advice.

In regards to the free weights vs machines they have their advantages and disadvantages, free weights are often better for you and prevent the focus on one particular muscle group, but proper utilisation of the machines, adjustment of grip, using the machine with the full potential can prevent this.

Free weights can lead to people over doing it, muscle strain, attempting to do too much, in this I agree with Nik that 25lb dumbells are a huge difference in effort as opposed to rowing, but rowing is an aerobic exercise. However, even then if you do bicep curls using a machine it is a lot easier to lift 50lbs as opposed to the two 25lb dumbells, because both arms are utilising the weight, this can also lead to an imbalance in muscle tone because you always have a stronger arm.

I swim every morning before work, and train in the gym 4-5 times a week. I also play football once a week; each activity focuses on different utilisation of the muscles, and different muscles.

In the gym I do 30 minutes on the treadmill (5.5km), 15 minutes on the rowing machine, 15 minutes cross trainer. Remember that your body depending on its fat to muscle ratio does not start actually working until after 10 minutes of aerobic activity.

Low reps and high weights build muscle bulk, also slow reps builds bulk as opposed to toning, high reps and low weights tone up muscle, if you do use machines, then work with a partner and swap machines while resting one muscle group create a circuit and keep working don't let the body warm down.

Also remember to warm up, and warm down, this is of vital importance to prevent muscle strain. Oh and have breaks, training 7 days a week is not good for you.

Nik it's interesting to hear you talk about it, as your clearly very dedicated and it would be good to talk to you further about it, so maybe hit me up on msn one time, you too root.

The most important factor is diet, if you are scoffing junk food, candy, sweets, take away food, drinking too much your never going to be what you can be and today's food has so much additives and is processed that the true nutritional value is absolute pants.

The only real exercises for abs, are sit-ups, crunches, leg raises etc there is no answer to hard work for toning up and looking good.

My changes to the diet have been stopping the junk food, eating more vegetables, and ensuring that I have been having a well balanced diet. So far I have lost 8" round my waist, and dropped from a XXL to a Large. I am nearly reaching my target of 196 - 210lbs depending on how I tone up now.

Anyway, enough of that have actually enjoyed this thread...

i dont want size or defenition or anything, i want strength. its not so much that i care, its that i like being the nerdiest, whitest kid at my skool (its like 40% black, 30% spanish, and right near D.C) and yet beating all the other kids. makes laugh alot, because it shows how much better i am at stuff then they are. XD muahhahahahah i am so evil!

Back
Top Bottom