Linux X-server

outlawstar4761

In Runtime
When I try to boot my computer through linux it says that it failed to start the X server. "It is likely that it is not setup correctly." Would I like to view the x server output to diagnose the problem? Well yes I would. Not much help there. View the detailed output as well? Sure. Still nothing that I can decipher as usefull. I select ok and then it starts in command line. Does anyone knowhow to setup the x server so that I can use my desktop and such?

I've already read that. When I try that command, it says it's invalid. Or when I try it with the pound sing (I wasn't sure if that when on there or not) it just goes to the next line. ANd when I try to open the config file it says it's not there.

ubuntu is deb based, go to a console and type (as root) : dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86, that should give you the config screens for X, works on my debian system, should do on ubuntu. I think you've got to hi Esc a few times to go back a few screens though, might be handy to have your monitor manual at hand too.

Thanks alot for your help, but that raises one more question. How do I log in as root. I tried Login: root Pass: root. but that didn't work, and when I log in as the user name that I created when installing linux it says that it's not root. And when I try to change to root after logging in with "su -" it asks for a password which I don't know because I never set one up.

Sorry to be such a n00b

Ubuntu uses sudo instead of actual root access, so you just need to type the command

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

then enter your user password

should be xorg unless it's a really old version of ubuntu. Then give it your specs.
After that you should be able to fire up an xserver.

Good luck to you

Thanks a bunch I got a long way through the configurating but when it asks my desired default color depth in bits. I've treid 24 and 16 (this computer which is on windows is on 32) and it goes to command line again and it says "xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customized configuration file; backup in /etc/x11/xorg.conf.20060" then is has command line. What did I do? *blush* and how can I get back to finishing the configuration? Thanks and sorry to keep asking questions.

you should find the log file for your xorg and check to see what is failing

/var/log/Xorg.0.log is the file for me, if you can't open that with a text editor, try looking and searching for it with cd to change directory and ls to display contents of a directory.

from there you can google the issue and find something that might help you fix your problem.

Most problems have already been solved, STFW. We shouldn't have to spend time solving already solved problems.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom