lllooonnnggg 'welcome' screen wait

msconfig11nv.jpg

msconfig28ls.jpg

msconfig35mz.jpg

d04f1c55.jpg

ee521a19.jpg

c0ac0256.jpg

I dont know what half those are. So, the only one I am sure of is the itunes thing. Although, I gotta say, all you need to start up is your windows theme, and security stuff. everything else you can stop from starting up. Thats what I did

ok i'll try the ones that are scratched out.
UPDATE: itunes starts up a lot quicker.
UPDATE2: doesn't help a whole lot. probably a couple seconds quicker. anything else i can uncheck?

Dude, just uncheck everything. I have NOTHING checked. With that much junk starting, it's going to start slow, end of story.

I hate it when windows starts programs when I logon.. so I just set it to start nothing. windows has 14 processes total on the task manager by the time it's done booting for me. But that is for my gaming username on XP. The alternate one is for other crap, So I just put AVG and Trillian into the startup folder for that account. But when i'm gaming, I prefer nothing to be running.

also
Start-Control panel-User accounts- and uncheck the use welcome screen

Msconfig
Ok I Recomend that you make a backup of all of youre important stuff just incase some thing happens
1.Click on Start.
2.Hit Run.
3.Type in Msconfig.
4.Click ONLY on the tab called START UP.
5.Disable any thing that you DONT need running clicking on the check box this will disable the start up item.
Note( I unchecked every thing except Zone Alarm And AVG Anti-Virus)
6.When you are done here click apply and then ok
7. After that you will be prompted with a dialog box that says Restart or Exit Without Restart
I usaully click on restart
Note when you start youre computer back up you will be prompted with a dialog box just put a check mark in the box and then click ok

There is one more thing you can do to speed up the boot process:

click start / run/ type msconfig/ go to the tab that has youe partition on it and edit the boot menu time from 30 to 0:

this is just a crude example..

partition 0/partition 0/c:\windows\xp media 2005\ fastdetect
menu time:30

where it say's 30...change that to 0

it should load windows alot faster..

ok i'll try mixx's idea then i'll try unchecking everything. antoher question. if i shut down or stand by or hibernate with an ipod plugged in does it automatically eject it. i had a wierd happening when i just unplugged it and all my music was gone in a second.
UPDATE: i unchecked the 'use welcome screen' box and it comes up a lot faster. i just wish that instead of the username screen coming up it would automatically log on. i'm the only user.

Back
Top Bottom