need help

robbocop

Beta member
recently my computer went off in a black out and now its all busted up. it just won't turn on. when its all plugged in ready to go the green light on the mother board is on but nothing happens when i press the power button to boot up. no sounds, no lights, no fan, nothin. please help me figure out what is wrong as i was quoted way more than i can afford right now and hope i can fix it myself. the damn technician would even tell me what the problem was.

Sounds like a power surge could have killed something. Probably the power supply. Tinker around with it, try different things, see if you can get it to turn on.

If it's not the power supply, it may be bad news. If you're lucky, that's the only thing wrong with it. About $20-$30 bucks, and you're back in business. If you're unlucky, you could end up replacing every part in the computer, which you would probably come out cheaper buying a new one. You may want to invest in a decent UPS. Don't get me wrong, nothing will save you from lightning, but it will help with power surges and brown-outs, which can be just as damaging.

It should be the power supply. I would have thought that it would still turn on and attempt to boot if it was something else. Unless it's the processor. Or everything. But like pctechmike said, if you're lucky it will only be the PSU.

Hmm the fact the power supply light on the motherboard switches on is a bit of a worry though if its meant to be the power supply, but I hope thats all it is.

I remember once in a blackout, had my comp on and everything just shut off. When I tried to turn back on, it was weird like the thing booted up but there was no picture on the screen. I waited a couple of minutes, and I tried rebooting. It worked then, but your problem is weird. Your PSU is probably fried, so just replace it.

Back
Top Bottom