Building New Computer- Here's What I decided On

Also i'm looking into a power supply. I heard that I shouldn't use the one that comes with the case but it says that it comes with a 450 WattSmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply, so should i still get a new one?

RAID is where you have two hard drives acting as one. Dividing the data equally in half and distributing it to each drive. In HALF the time normally. Or its two hard drives, where it copies the data to each drive. Thats more for backup.

first mentioned is RAID... 0 I think, and the second one is RAID 1

savior345 said:
Also i'm looking into a power supply. I heard that I shouldn't use the one that comes with the case but it says that it comes with a 450 WattSmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply, so should i still get a new one?

That will do you just fine. Although, im not exactly an expert in that area.

ArrizX said:
RAID is where you have two hard drives acting as one. Dividing the data equally in half and distributing it to each drive. In HALF the time normally. Or its two hard drives, where it copies the data to each drive. Thats more for backup.

So in theory... the more Hard drives you have in your Array... the faster it is? would it also be faster at accessing that data?

ya it should be i guess since it has to retreive less, im thinking about getting raid soon to, as for your power supply i would get a new one (better to be safe then sorry) i recommend the OCZ powerstream, i got one about a month ago and its amazing

so you are saying that its better to get two smaller drives than one larger drive becasue it splits the time in half. How much of a difference is that going to make if i do it that way becasue I'm only looking into spending no more than about $150.00 on a hard drive thats 150gb or more

blind_reaper8 said:
So in theory... the more Hard drives you have in your Array... the faster it is? would it also be faster at accessing that data?

No, because you need to go into bios and set it up as RAID.

But it could be.

savior345 said:
so you are saying that its better to get two smaller drives than one larger drive becasue it splits the time in half. How much of a difference is that going to make if i do it that way becasue I'm only looking into spending no more than about $150.00 on a hard drive thats 150gb or more

For you, you dont need to bother. Please, excuse me for saying this. But you dont know enough to be setting up RAID. From what I understand its very hard. So I say steer clear of that. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136017

That would suit you just fine ;)

ArrizX said:

but ahh, there are more than those two. There is also RAID 0+1, RAID 5, RAID 10 and so on. I would refrain from using RAID 1 as it is only for server use, and if you are going to use a server, might as well use RAID 5. RAID 0 is the most popular out of all RAIDs for the desktop as it is the fastest and gives the most performance. but there is always a point of dimishing returns :) two raptor 150s in raid 0 might not always load faster than 1 74GB raptor. So RAID isnt always faster. Now, if you RAID 2 7200 RPM hard drives, then yes you will see a diference. Now, the catch with RAID 0 is that once one drive dies, it renders your other drive useless. And with RAID 0, you should get two of the same sized hard drives. like two 160GB hard drives are a nice combo. A good amount of space, while providing good performance.

Back
Top Bottom