2 firewalls at once?

EricM

Daemon Poster
its safe to run two firewalls at once right? i just built a new pc and the mobo came with the nvidia firewall and i want to install zone alarm now.

well just install the one. they recommend you only use 1 at a time as they may conflict with each other but ive never had a problem. one should be enough anyway if its good

one was a default with the motherboard.. its the nvidia active armour thing. but i would like to get zone alarm.

just get both. if you notice problems then install one. it wont just suddently crash your pc having 2 firewalls

I run two f/walls, M/Soft & Avg, security is top-notch, I have heard that some can clash, I have Windows XP.

Well, the Windows XP firewall isn't anything to write home about, I just use my router firewall. I say two firewalls is alright but not as necessary as it seems.

I like the non-software type myself, it's possable to run two..but i wouldn't unless you know what your doing..configuring them and all, just for the sake of conflicts.

I would recommend two layers of security as well but with one crucial qualifier: one software firewall; one hardware.

The hardware firewall would be specialized equipment, maybe even just a Linksys or the type router. Use this firewall to block certain protocols or IP addresses (the lower levels of the OSI model - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model)

The software firewall, the built-in windows XP one or a third party like zone alarm, should be used for the higher levels of the OSI model, mainly layer 7: the application level. The software firewall would be most useful to keep rogue applications from hijacking your computer and spyware from communicating to its originator and the like. Basically, use the software firewall to manage which applications have access to the internet.

DanielASanders said:
I would recommend two layers of security as well but with one crucial qualifier: one software firewall; one hardware.

The hardware firewall would be specialized equipment, maybe even just a Linksys or the type router. Use this firewall to block certain protocols or IP addresses (the lower levels of the OSI model - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model)

The software firewall, the built-in windows XP one or a third party like zone alarm, should be used for the higher levels of the OSI model, mainly layer 7: the application level. The software firewall would be most useful to keep rogue applications from hijacking your computer and spyware from communicating to its originator and the like. Basically, use the software firewall to manage which applications have access to the internet.

lol I have three software firewalls it was all accidentlly setup and 1 router firewall windows is a damn good firewall

if you have more than two virus protection programs it cloggs up your computer pretty bad, having two firewalls isn't that bad, I have the SP2 firewall, Wareboot firewall and norton firewall on and it works fine for me - why i have 3 i don't know I just turned em all on and didn't touch them after that... i'm gonna turn the other 2 off now - think i'll keep the norton up right now.

Back
Top Bottom