PS3 Controller Rumors

Kage said:
But at the moment, I believe Blu-ray is a completly new format.

DVD at least had the fall back in manufacturing that it wasn't too far off from CD's in the way they worked, and with a red laser.

Blu-Ray must need a whole new manufacturing process thats going to take time to get going.
While they iron out bugs/speed up the drives, etc, prices are going to be high.

But in the next 2-3 years, I guarantee if Blu-Ray suceeds, price would have dropped by a significant amount.

On new technology I've heard there is a certain amount of products that fail to pass the tests (Just like the Cell processor, and them deciding to drop off a couple of SPE's to make the yields better for launch), and this in turn increases price because with about 10 going into manufactuer, only 4 or more will get through without any failures (just an example)

Actually, the Cell processor has 8 SPE cores, but one of them is deactiviated just in case there is a manufacturing defect, they can just activate that extra one and deactivate the defected core to save time and money. That way, they don't need to waste the whole processor.

Ah yeah, that was it.

The only issue though is even if they activate it later on within the PS3 for example, games can't take use of it, since it would be unfair for people who had bought a PS3 with only 7 SPE's.
So after about a year of having a PS3, its likely that the CPU will have more capability not accessible within that big box :p

Kage said:
Ah yeah, that was it.

The only issue though is even if they activate it later on within the PS3 for example, games can't take use of it, since it would be unfair for people who had bought a PS3 with only 7 SPE's.
So after about a year of having a PS3, its likely that the CPU will have more capability not accessible within that big box :p

Well everything is designed to run with the 7 SPE cores, the 8th one is just for backup, per se.

Yeah, its an amazing CPU though.

I wonder if it'd ever be released for PC use?

I know there talking about it being used in standard house equipment, but I wouldn't see the use in for example it being in a Tv, unless of course it decoded and could record in real time, etc, without any other equipment...

As for the camera, the PS2 had that originally, and it actually provided somethin I'd never seen before in a game, which was real time action from a camera.
The fact now there adding alot more CG type effects with the cameras use is actually rather amazing.

But the new PS3 design is basically the PS2 design, but its lighter, has no vibration, has more sensitivity in the shoulder buttons, has gyros for 6 directional movement sensing and has a guide button in the middle.
Oh, and its wireless, with erm...lights telling you who is who... :p

Kage said:
Yeah, its an amazing CPU though.

I wonder if it'd ever be released for PC use?

I know there talking about it being used in standard house equipment, but I wouldn't see the use in for example it being in a Tv, unless of course it decoded and could record in real time, etc, without any other equipment...

As for the camera, the PS2 had that originally, and it actually provided somethin I'd never seen before in a game, which was real time action from a camera.
The fact now there adding alot more CG type effects with the cameras use is actually rather amazing.

Yeah, I remember some story a while ago where IBM licensed the Cell processor technology to this company to produce the processors for commercial and military use. No desktop or normal PC use though, the market isn't there and if it is, it'll be a niche product. The price to performance ratio won't justify the high costs consumers will have to pay. Oh and what about programming the processor to work with current operating systems? The Cell isn't a normal x86-64 processor. If I'm correct, I think it's 128-bit.

You mean the Eye-Toy? That was actually pretty creative on Sony's part. I don't think it even serves any other purpose than use in Eye-Toy compatible games.

Back
Top Bottom