Overclocking your CPU, How to do it easily!

Status
Not open for further replies.
99nahsa : ht for amd systems is not hyper threading. its hyper transport. hyper threading is intel only.

lest mine knowings be wrong, correct mine limited knowledge please :D

@lemon: are you correct on this. Hyper Threading is Intel only. Hyper Transport is AMD only.

Yep, im retarded :D

Once I got the hang of it and got my 1.8ghz CPU to 2.6GHZ I noticed a great boost in performance. Its great fun when you know what your doing :)

'm new to overclocking and was wondering if anyone has any tip and trick, or even better if someone has the same or close to set up that i have. . . I've been searching Google a lot, and can't seem to get much more then the preset out of my system. and i'm not sure why.

my system is. . .

Mo Bo:
Fatal1ty AN8 SLI
CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 Toledo with 2 1MB Caches
Ram:
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SD RAM Dual Channel Platinum System Memory
HD:
120 GB S-ATA 2
have 2 HD's one with Win XP home, and one with XP 64x.

The FSB for the cpu is set at 200, with a 11x multiplier. I have got up to 211. but then it boots, and starts to load windows, then re-boots. 210 it works fine, but i'm hoping to get more. I know nothing about the voltage controls and that's where I think i might be messing up, I read up a bit, and have tried raising it a bit, but the same thing happens.

I also read that sometimes it's better to lower the mutiplier so you can get an higher speed. so right now I have it at 10.5 multiplier and 215 CPU Freq (so it's at 2257) cpu temp as I write this is 30c 86f so I should be able to get a bit higher

right now I just have the voltage at default I can tell you what there set at if you need to know.

so any experts out there able to help, i'm not looking to do anything crazy, but would love something in the 2350+ range if you think I can get that.

also when dealing with PCI clock(it's at 100Mgz now) and RAM setting like RAS#(no clue what that is) i'm lost. . . I know it's all tied together so that might also have something to do with it.

if all you have is a good indeapth overclock guide I would love that, or if you just have tips on what to do that would also work, thanks again and if you need to know anything else just ask.

Edit: just wanted to add that i'm supper tiard, and proble should not be messing with my computer right now. . also I made a posted this in another board, and have read up a bit more sence then, but don't want to go over it and change it (it's still more or less the same thing going on) lazyness FTW

im a beginner at this myself so if im worng please forgive me. i believe overclocking a X2 core might be differnet to a single core (single core is what i have been reading about). what speed is your memory running at? is it pc3200 running at 400MHz or is it faster?. pc3200 is rated as 400MHz but that is in dual channel so if you divide by 2 then its at 200MHz. now your default FSB is at 200Mhz as well meaning they work together at the same rate so if you increase the FSB by say to 230 then you have to make sure that the memory can run at 230MHz (or 460Mhz in dual channel) but if your memory can only clock up to around 210MHz then you are going to have to look into memory dividers or what ever they are called. if you clock your FSB up to 230MHz and your memory can go to that speed tehn it is called a 1:1 divider (as it will be 230MHz:230MHz) but if it can only go up to 210 and you want ot take your FSB higher then you are going to have to use a memory divider like 5:6. unforunity this is were my knowledge runs out about this subjetc as im only a noob myllef and also need to do alot of reading about the subject. I also believe i have read somewhere that using a 10.5 multiplier or any .5 weather 9.5 or 8.5 etc is bad for an athlon 64bit cpu (cant remember why i might eveing be accidently lieing about but check it out). make sure your Hypertransport bus is around 1000 by adjusting the LDT mulitplyer. for example if your FSB is 250 then your LDT should drop to 4 in order to keep it in the effecient 1000MHz range (4 x 250 = 1000). at default 200 FSB it is 5 so 5 LDT x 200 FSB = 1000MHz you get the pic...

dont know much about voltages only that you increase them bit by bit while keeping a good eye on the temps

techniques ive been reading about is to find your max FSB first, then your max chip capability and then your max memory speed. then work out what they can effectly do using abit of maths and then test test test.

i hope i can be of help but like i said im only a beginner when it comes to it. keep reading and reading and then read somemore

try this forum:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/

its more geared to the subject of overclocking

thanks for the tips and the fourm fisher. but i think I posted a bit hasty. I've been just messing around a bit, and found out what you just told me (from testing and more google) about changeing the FSB:RAM ratio. i'm at 4/5 now, I got high speed RAM, that could run at 2.3.2.5. PC 3200, but I guess from what i've been reading, for overclocking it would be better to get 500Mgz ram with 3.4.4.8 timing or something like that.

oh well, right now I think i'm doing good, have it at 255 X 10 so i'm running at 2550. and have the ram at 166 3.3.3.5 my mother bord dose not have a way to just set the FSB:RAM ratio, but it's the same thing as 4/5 to just set it to 166 instead of 200, and 2/3 is the same as 133.

i've been at this for like 7 hours, and I must say, i fell like a nerd saying this (not that that's bad) but this is very fun.

wish I would of done it before I started overclocking but so far my two 3D mark 03 scores are. . .
8627 10.5 mult 218 fsb 2289 mhz
9440 10 x 242 fsb 2420 mhz
both test toped out at about 47 c.
hmm, this sucks, test three
9193 10 x 255 2550 mhz. temp got up to 54c.

damn it all to hell, well back to the drawing board to try and find out why it's lower with a higher speed

good good. make sure you run prime95 for at least 8 hours just to make sure its stable

your OCZ should be Infineon ICs, something like CE-6, they should do 3-3-3-8 just fine at DDR500.

when i get to the bios screen i dont see anything about my FSB??? could it be my motherboard?

mobo: EVGA NFORCE4 SLI CHIPSET SOCKET939 DDR400 SATA RAID DUAL 16X PCI-EXPRESS W/ 7.1AUDIO, USB2.0, & GbLAN

bmk12 said:
when i get to the bios screen i dont see anything about my FSB??? could it be my motherboard?

mobo: EVGA NFORCE4 SLI CHIPSET SOCKET939 DDR400 SATA RAID DUAL 16X PCI-EXPRESS W/ 7.1AUDIO, USB2.0, & GbLAN
No it's in there. I have the same motherboard, just go under User Overclock Settings or somthing like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom