Laptop will not POST

chat14101

Solid State Member
My friend left a NEC Versa SX with me in hopes of me possibly getting it working again. When the power button is pushed the Power LED lites...and so does the icon that appears to be "Reading CD drive". Nothing displays...the LCD doesn't even flicker. If I plug in an external monitor it displays nothing. I don't hear any fans...I'd think there would be one but honestly I don't know. I also don't hear the HDD spin up. This model laptop has what I am calling a hot-swappable port (although I'm sure it's not hot swappable). I can remove the CD drive and it looks like I could put a zip drive or FDD or I think even another battery. If I remove the drive with the laptop on...that Reading LED goes off. I know it's not reading because if I put a CD in a memorised way...and after closing it, turning on the laptop, waiting a few minutes and ejecting the CD...it was in the same position. Also the eject button doesn't work I have to hit the manual release button with a paper clip. I think this laptop is done for...but thought I'd post and see what advice I got.

First, it helps to know what make and model this laptop is, so we can judge if it's relatively easy to work on, and have a better idea of where the parts are that could be causing this. With some models, you actually have to press a key combination on the keyboard to get it to display on a monitor (maybe CTRL+F8?- can't remember). Since you have no video, it could be the inverter board, or something wrong with the display itself. See if you can't find the hard drive on the laptop, and remove it. Bad hardware could cause this issue, and resetting BIOS couldn't hurt (remove the on-board battery for 5-10 minutes) of course, this involves taking the laptop apart, which is always fun....

The make and model is a NEC Versa SX. I've tried scrolling through the outputs, no result. This laptop is similar to an older Mac PowerBook...the HDD is right under the keyboard.

Like this?

necsx_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom