Quick Announcement about spam.

GreatHype said:
rule of thumb aye? Well for anyone who doesnt know what that means it means that way back when wives would be "bad" the husbands we go out and find a tree branch that was no thicker than their thumb to beat their wives with. So ya not a good phrase to use.
On the contrary, colourful phrases, as long as they are not offensive, are, I think, welcome, old sayings are part of our heritage, for example, I didn't know what this one meant until you told us, got any more?, 'praps someone should start a thread on the meanings of sayings/phrases, I have a hand-held device [Seiko] among it's many functions is "phrase search" you just enter the key word of a phrase or saying, & 90% per cent of the time it'll find it!, cost me £50 but it was well worth, it's stand-alone, no connection PC connection needed, very handy!

GreatHype said:
rule of thumb aye? Well for anyone who doesnt know what that means it means that way back when wives would be "bad" the husbands we go out and find a tree branch that was no thicker than their thumb to beat their wives with. So ya not a good phrase to use.
Wow, thats rather interesting!!

As for the spam, just report the thread and it wil be dealt with asap

GreatHype said:

I don't think that was the original meaning in Britain.

In Britain, it was something to do with thumbscrews being used for torture, if I remember rightly.

Paradox said:
Had a look, very interesting indeed, thanks, the Consise Oxford English Dictionary states: "A broadly accurate guide or principle based on practice, rather than theory"
One of my pet subjects, I have an old book on the origins of sayings, but the above quote was from an hand-held device, Seiko, you'd like that, £50, well worth it.

Hey really fast... We just had another spam attack. I see some people didnt do what I asked!!

Please, PLEASE dont post in a spam thread. Or even stike up a convorstaion with them. Not to mention names, but you know who you are.... As I have already PMed you.

Back
Top Bottom