multipliers: cpu and memory

badninja3

Daemon Poster
how do they work?

i understand that (multiplier) x (fsb) = clock speed. but how does a multiplier work? and what does it do?

also, kinda off topic, but how does intel's cpu/memory work? i understand amd's style, but not intel's. thanks u in advance for helping.

FSB is the speed the cpu and northbridge communicate. clock speed is internal speed, inside the cpu. Internal speeds have very little latency so the speed is very high. A multiplier multiplies the FSB, as you have noted. Intel is the same as the socket A AMDs.

ownage said:
FSB is the speed the cpu and northbridge communicate. clock speed is internal speed, inside the cpu. Internal speeds have very little latency so the speed is very high. A multiplier multiplies the FSB, as you have noted. Intel is the same as the socket A AMDs.
oh. thank you. but i dont know how socket A amd's work. only 939's. sorry. so can u plz expand on this? thank you.

FSB - How fast the cpu talks to the northbridge (memory controller) aka external clock
Clock speed - Internal Clock
Cache - the same on the 939s.
So the cpu uses the FSB to talk to the memory controller, which handles all the RAM and such. And then the cpu executes the processes just like the S939 varients.

how does the multiplier multiply stuff? i just dont get it. sorry for my inability to comprehend this.

Back
Top Bottom