New Computer Problems

I am also wondering if it is the power here... beings i am in a deployed location it very well could be the power... could it be that possibly when the GPU really kicks in the power in my system becomes unstable?

I'm having trouble finding a decent pic of your card but from what I did find it appears to have a 12v power connector, could you confirm this is correct and if it is correct is this supplied solely (no other devices) from a dedicated power lead?
What driver are you running for your card? in the nVidia control panel is the gpu temp monitor, could you give us your temps? (right click desktop, nvidia settings, select monitor, then temperature settings)
Regarding local power where you are, is it the domestic power you're using or generator supplied?

EDIT: I have yet to see you mention the stop error report so I'll assume you have your pc set to restart on system failure, open system properties, either through control panel or right click My Computer, select the advanced tab, then at the bottom select start up and recovery, in there uncheck "Automatically restart". This should display the dreaded BSOD when your pc crashes instead of restarting directly to windows, also check your event logs to see what is in there, right click my computer select manage, then event viewer under system in the tree on the left.

blind_reaper8 said:
...... and the power here i believe is generators... its also 220, my powersource can handle that of course. the power grid on this base is shoddy at best.
I think this may be the problem but it is hard to say, only a UPS would show you if it is or not.

EDIT: What are the amps on the 12v rails on the sticker on the side of your psu?

Deathstar said:
I'm having trouble finding a decent pic of your card but from what I did find it appears to have a 12v power connector, could you confirm this is correct and if it is correct is this supplied solely (no other devices) from a dedicated power lead?
What driver are you running for your card? in the nVidia control panel is the gpu temp monitor, could you give us your temps? (right click desktop, nvidia settings, select monitor, then temperature settings)
Regarding local power where you are, is it the domestic power you're using or generator supplied?

EDIT: I have yet to see you mention the stop error report so I'll assume you have your pc set to restart on system failure, open system properties, either through control panel or right click My Computer, select the advanced tab, then at the bottom select start up and recovery, in there uncheck "Automatically restart". This should display the dreaded BSOD when your pc crashes instead of restarting directly to windows, also check your event logs to see what is in there, right click my computer select manage, then event viewer under system in the tree on the left.

did this and it restarted anyway... bloody hell

Ok... now it just plain restarted for no paticular reason... WTF Mate? i wasnt even doing anything intense... grrr...

Alright... new GCard Drivers installed... it ran longer this time... on the trial version of halo... but still restarted... i am boxin this bloody computer up and sendin it to the states... bloody thing done gone and pissed me off

EDIT-- I am going to believe, due to the randomness of the restarts, that it is the power fluctuations on this dirty sandhole base (Deployed Location in Southwest Asia) the power grid here is Shoddy at best. anyway i am going to pack it up and send it home, download all the updates (windows and other various drivers) when i hook it up to the net... and hope for the best... otherwise... i will have some parts for sale (whatever makes it through my wrath anyway)... can anybody see any flaws with my hardware setup... i am running this on XP SP2 (not sure how current as it hasnt been hooked up to the net yet)?

I'm tending more and more to the dodgy local power supply now, especially since you have swapped out the video card. The fact you're getting no BSOD and stop error makes me believe it is a power issue. Were it a hardware failure you would get BSOD and a stop error, was there anything in the event logs at all?
XP SP2 is the latest release but there are quite a few hotfixes you'll be missing. Sorry we didn't manage to find the problem :( I hope it works when you get back home. If it does drop a post back in this thread to let us know.

yea... i will drop a post when my problem is resolved... and yea due to lack of any "fatal error" screens or any error screen at all, i am going to think (in an optomistic sort of way) that it is the bloody power that is making the system unstable.

Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom