PS3 Controller Rumors

And Blu-Ray isn't even a refined technology yet. The Seek times are horrible, sure theyve improved but I would hate to see loading screens on the ps3 (but thats just me, hopefully those seek times will improve more before launch)

And I really do see using 100-200 Gigs of space for a single game for a LONG time, in which case it would be VERY simple for the 360 to just have games with multiple discs, for a cheaper price than you would use to buy a single blu-ray game.

Same here, I'm not going to discriminate with rumors, I'm going to wait till I get all three, then pass my final judgement lol

Another thing I've always wondered: Why is it that only 3 Companies make consoles. I mean, what stops other people from starting up businesses, making consoles, and getting people to make games for them?

Money for one thing. The Gizmondo wasn't made by a big company and look what happened to that?
They'd easily get trounced by the bigger companies.

As for Blu-Ray, I don't know much about whats behind the technology, but for instance on the PS3, the hard drive will be used alot for caching of data, so hopefully not having a fast drive won't matter much, as alot of the content could be copied to the hard drive, rather like what happens on a PC.

Blu-Ray has yet to mature. Disc spin and seek times are ridiculously horrible. The PS3's Blu-Ray drive was originally to have a 1x 36MB/s Blu-Ray drive, but later advancements in the drive technology increased it to 2x 72MB/s. However, by the time the PS3 launches, 4x drives might be available by then. There are rumors that Sony will fit the PS3 with a 6x Blu-Ray drive. Either way, both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are very similar. Both use blue/violet lasers instead of the normal red to increase the amount of data able to be written on each disc. Either way, inital versions of the PS3 will have horrible load times, even with the hard drive caching data. It'll eventually improve, but things take time. Have you seen XbitLabs.com recently? Panasonic is releasing a Blu-Ray drive for desktops and it costs $900. Yes, that is no typo...$900 is the retail cost for that Blu-Ray drive. Insane.

Can anyone though remember the price of DVD drives when they first came along?

Haha, that was WAY too long ago! :p Yeah, I get what I mean. DVD's were pretty expensive when they first came around, but I don't think they were as expensive as Blu-Ray is getting.

But at the moment, I believe Blu-ray is a completly new format.

DVD at least had the fall back in manufacturing that it wasn't too far off from CD's in the way they worked, and with a red laser.

Blu-Ray must need a whole new manufacturing process thats going to take time to get going.
While they iron out bugs/speed up the drives, etc, prices are going to be high.

But in the next 2-3 years, I guarantee if Blu-Ray suceeds, price would have dropped by a significant amount.

On new technology I've heard there is a certain amount of products that fail to pass the tests (Just like the Cell processor, and them deciding to drop off a couple of SPE's to make the yields better for launch), and this in turn increases price because with about 10 going into manufactuer, only 4 or more will get through without any failures (just an example)

Back
Top Bottom