New Computer Problems

Im not sure about it logging it to a file. You could always alt+tab out after playing for a little bit, or try some other test like Prime95

Heh i havent hooked it to the net yet... and everything Download related here is pretty much blocked... bloody military network BS... i cant even get on myspace :(

blind_reaper8 said:
..... HOWEVER... when i run games... or when i run Media Player and iTunes... or run a task that requires 50% or better of the processors capabilities... the bloody thing restarts... during games you can run them for a short while just fine on any graphics setting and it runs just fine for 3 to 10 minutes... i am using the stock CPU cooler and i wonder if it is that... or if the graphics card is just being a pain.....
It sounds like an overheating problem to me too, any temperature readings at all would be helpful, both idle and load if possible (alt/tab mid game would be enough to get an idea for load, surely there must be some form of temp monitoring software on the m/board disk? otherwise the bios will give an idle temp)

Are you sure you have the cpu cooler seated firmly/correctly?? one of the (stupid) new locking pins isn't disengaged is it?? That would be the first place I looked, because you state the problem occurs at the 50% cpu usage mark I tend toward the processor as the culprit, Media Player and iTunes are hardly graphically demanding, so I'd tend to rate the video card as a "secondary" avenue of troubleshooting. Some temp readings would go a long way to help diagnose the problem.

Deathstar said:
It sounds like an overheating problem to me too, any temperature readings at all would be helpful, both idle and load if possible (alt/tab mid game would be enough to get an idea for load, surely there must be some form of temp monitoring software on the m/board disk? otherwise the bios will give an idle temp)

Are you sure you have the cpu cooler seated firmly/correctly?? one of the (stupid) new locking pins isn't disengaged is it?? That would be the first place I looked, because you state the problem occurs at the 50% cpu usage mark I tend toward the processor as the culprit, Media Player and iTunes are hardly graphically demanding, so I'd tend to rate the video card as a "secondary" avenue of troubleshooting. Some temp readings would go a long way to help diagnose the problem.

Ive checked the Heatsink... originally it did have one of those bloody pins disengaged... so that was fixed... i will have the temp data when i get back to my temporary dorm... grr i this deployment sucks... but i guess if the computer that i just built isnt working like i want it to is my biggest problem... ive nothing to complain about

blind_reaper8 said:
....... grr i this deployment sucks... but i guess if the computer that i just built isnt working like i want it to is my biggest problem... ive nothing to complain about
Well, you have my sympathies on being deployed, (I'm not going to ask where or dribble off into the political aspects of it) but I guess if your pc probs are your biggest worry ...... you're doing OK ;) :)
From the fact that you stated one of the locking pins was disengaged I think a reapplication of thermal compound may be in order. Guess there's not a lot of stores out there that sell Arctic Silver5 huh??

Get back to us with some more info when you get back to your temp dorm :)

Currently, with the room at a decent temp... it is running at 43C with only the Intel Desktop Utilities running (monitors the temp)

Testing with StressTest it got up to 53C (CPU Test Only)
StressTest (CPU, Ram, Vid mem, 3D, 2D, CPU SIMD/MMX) 64C peak

Performance Index cpu temp Peak 58C (cpu Test only)
Peak during all tests 58C also

PerformanceIndex V1.1 2834.4 for my computer... after doing all tests with this program... topped out at 58c for the "Benchmark" tests

OH BLOODY HELL... the thing restarted... i started the game... halo through the first level starting sequence... checked the temp (44C) swiched back to the game and it showed the game for about 1.5 seconds and then POW (yes like in mario) restart... bloody effin computer... i want to smash it to little pieces right about meow... AHHHHHHHHhhh.... ok now that thats done... what do you think

what about the gpu temperature? since it only happens in games thats when its gona get pretty damn hot so check it during halo, the heatsinks that come with it are usually terrible so without decent case cooling they overheat

Back
Top Bottom