New Computer Problems

blind_reaper8

In Runtime
I just built my first computer.

Intel Pentium D 930
Intel D975XBX
PNY GeForce 6800 GS
Patriot DC 1024MB PC6400 DDR2 667MHz (2x512MB)
320 GB SATA HD (yes i will be getting another smaller faster one)
500 Watt Power supply
all in an Aspire X-Discovery Case

Windows XP SP2 is all loaded up and it has no problems running basic programs... the newest BIOS is installed... all of intel's little programs are installed... and all the graphics drivers are installed... it also has no problems running all of the stress tests and they tell me the performance of my setup is "excellent"

HOWEVER... when i run games... or when i run Media Player and iTunes... or run a task that requires 50% or better of the processors capabilities... the bloody thing restarts... during games you can run them for a short while just fine on any graphics setting and it runs just fine for 3 to 10 minutes... i am using the stock CPU cooler and i wonder if it is that... or if the graphics card is just being a pain.

If anybody has any thoughts or ideas on what the problem might be let me know please

i dont know man, if it is restarting that is usually from a:

A. Memory Problem.
B. Power Supply Problem.
C. Processor Problem/Crash/Compatability Issue
D. Hard Drive Failure. <not likely though if it does normal operation.

Try doing diagnostic tests on all those, you can find them all by googling them, and also, try uninstalling and reinstalling drivers for the vid card, that could be it too.

i doubt it's the graphics card.. i have the same one and it has never acted up on me...besides that wouldnt effect your media player... the psu looks like it would suffice..has it been like this ever since you built it? or is it a recent development?

kchi55 said:
i doubt it's the graphics card.. i have the same one and it has never acted up on me...besides that wouldnt effect your media player... the psu looks like it would suffice..has it been like this ever since you built it? or is it a recent development?

I kinda just built it on a whim while ive been deployed... its only been together for a month... and on for probably a few days total

I am wondering if it is the processor overheating... that lil Pentium D runs a bit hot

kchi55 said:

He could have hardware or software compatability issues that are causing the VC to act up, and if thats the case, then a simple reinstall of newer/same drivers would overwrite the old ones, "refresh" the vid card, and possibly fix the card, never hurts to try, no sense/point in arguing it.

EDIT: and to my surprise, the cool graphic screen looking things on media center take up a large amount of Vid card mem, enough to were the vid card would have to work a little to display them.

I would imagine that i will just have to wait untill i get back to the states to hook it up to the net and update everything... thats what i did with the BIOS but other than that i couldnt find anything for the GCard... but i got bored/pissed off because PNY's site is such a pain.

It sounds like a overheating problem. Try downloading everest and look at what your temps are when you are doing somthing cpu intensive.

The Amish Kid said:
It sounds like a overheating problem. Try downloading everest and look at what your temps are when you are doing somthing cpu intensive.

Exactly what i am thinking... i was thinking about water cooling... the stock cpu heatsink is going to go... i will have to do that when i get home though...

You shouldn't need watercooling just to keep it from crashing. Try putting some arctic silver 5 on it and reseating the heatsink. Although watercooling defently would be cool(pun intended)

does Everest log the temps to a file? if it did i could see the temp that it maxed at during a game... intel actually has a little Deskboard monitor that shows temps at 2 board locations and the cpu... but it doesnt have a max temp tracker

Back
Top Bottom