Antivirus

Just because someone had a bad experience with Norton doesn't automatically make it bad software. I've used Norton since the mid 90's and haven't had any major problems at all. I even ran it on a network back when I was in Utah with 4 different computers. No problems there. I use Norton now on my laptop and my regular desktop with no problems at all. As long as you don't use any other antivirus programs together with Norton, be sure to schedule or perform manual LiveUpdates on a consistent basis, and run scans, everything should be just fine. Don't download attachments from people you don't know. I have two firewall software and two different antispyware software working alongside with Norton. Again, I have no problems at all. I do everything on my PC and it's loaded with all the major softwares out there including all major Adobe products, Macromedia, Office 2003, four graphic intensive games, and a mess of smaller programs like FTP, Roxio, Nero, ResumeMaker, Hallmark, etc, etc. It's loaded basically.

I'm curious as to why you say "stay away from Norton". Could you enlighten us as to why you say that? The reason why I'm curious to know what's wrong with Norton is because most people and friends of mine all use Norton Internet Security or just the Norton Antivirus software. I'm the one that recommended those products to them. They love it and they too, haven't had any problems yet. Perhaps it was the way your system was configured? I heard it may have issues with 64-bit OS, but I'm sure Norton has a 64-bit counter for 64-bit XP.

I am sooo confused as what to get right now. Ive tried demos of everything almost except for norton. my brother has norton internet security for his laptop and does not like it. i am planning on getting zone alarm pro and either spysweeper or counter spy. so i just need an antivirus but cant decide on it.

avg free edition and bitdefender free edition

bit defender is the highest ranked virus scaner

trust me man they don't call me hackslayer for nothing

TRDCorolla said:
Just because someone had a bad experience with Norton doesn't automatically make it bad software. I've used Norton since the mid 90's and haven't had any major problems at all. I even ran it on a network back when I was in Utah with 4 different computers. No problems there. I use Norton now on my laptop and my regular desktop with no problems at all. As long as you don't use any other antivirus programs together with Norton, be sure to schedule or perform manual LiveUpdates on a consistent basis, and run scans, everything should be just fine. Don't download attachments from people you don't know. I have two firewall software and two different antispyware software working alongside with Norton. Again, I have no problems at all. I do everything on my PC and it's loaded with all the major softwares out there including all major Adobe products, Macromedia, Office 2003, four graphic intensive games, and a mess of smaller programs like FTP, Roxio, Nero, ResumeMaker, Hallmark, etc, etc. It's loaded basically.

I'm curious as to why you say "stay away from Norton". Could you enlighten us as to why you say that? The reason why I'm curious to know what's wrong with Norton is because most people and friends of mine all use Norton Internet Security or just the Norton Antivirus software. I'm the one that recommended those products to them. They love it and they too, haven't had any problems yet. Perhaps it was the way your system was configured? I heard it may have issues with 64-bit OS, but I'm sure Norton has a 64-bit counter for 64-bit XP.

I'm truely happy you haven't had any problems out of Norton, along with the people you have recommended it to (I hope they don't have any issues). Keep in mind that I'm not speaking from using it on one computer. I have worked at a major ISP on the HSI (High Speed Internet) for 9 months, averaging 100 calls a day, and I would have to say 10 calls out of the 100, Norton, or NIS was causing the issue. But my experience doesn't stop there. I have also worked as a computer tech for a major franchise, fixing your average Joe computer, again, Norton was to blame for much of our business- not being able to do, what it is supposed to do, protect people from viruses. I also own and operate my own business, and thanks to Norton, I give more advice about how to get rid of viruses, because Norton can't do it. To add insult to injury, your ordinary customer only has 256MB of ram with XP, and NIS, which makes the computer run so sloooooooooooow, due to Norton being so process intensive. Sure, it can detect viruses, but it can't do anything with them. The company I work for now, which supports many government agencies throughout TN, AL, KY, MS, and GA, have moved too AVG Pro for customers, because Norton Corporate was on most of these computers. So, no, it's not just from my personal experience. I wouldn't give someone a copy of Norton- period. The question- Why pay $60+ for a software program that will leave you hanging, rather than pay $0 for Avast or AVG that will have your computer virus free? I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on something else- and my customers would too.....
Note: This is not a rant against Norton. This is to answer your question of why my opinion is so strong against Norton. If you would like to discuss this issue in more detail, PM me.

Wow I dont know what to get now.. ive tried em all basically except norton really... bit defender, antivir, nod32, avg... i guess they are all good?

I use Nod32, just have gotten used to it I guess, had Norton way back in 2000 or something, tried bit defender for a day... It all comes down to what you get used to I guess. Nod32 is good cause' it uses bugger all resources, has a very good detection rate (I would say better than Bit Defender), and it's update files are only like 100-200k max each time after the initial update. Plus the scan speeds are very fast.

Between Nod32, Outpost Pro, and Spysweeper, I trust that I'm safe.

In the end, it's up to you what you choose.

I may just use AVG free until i decide. but im kinda leaning towards nod32 now

Back
Top Bottom