any motor heads?

Ronco Rox

Fully Optimized
hiya peeps.

i was just wondering if there was any motor heads on CF.
because i have question to ask about my little Yamaha MX80 2-stroke dirt bike.
(sorry can't find any good pics of it)

now for you guys who know what i'm talking about your probabaly pi**ing yourselves because the thing is so damn old. my dad bought it like in the 80's i think, before i was born and it was my first gift he ever gave me when i was born. and no i didn't ride it around when i was that little. but recently i saw it in the corner of my garage and decided to work on it.

the gas in it was probably from when it was bought. so i cleaned out the carb, gas tank, throttle, floater, and jet with carb cleaner. i drained the old fuel and the color of it was black because half of it was dirt. i didn't bother with the kickstart after like 30 tries to start it because i know its just old and its useless, so i tired to pop the clutch with not a lot of luck. so i was just wondering if anyone of you guys who are into engines, could lead me into a direction with this. i would ask my dad but he was arrested last year so i only talk to him when he calls me. and i thought it would be cool to talk about how i got this bike to run because all our conversations are about my race car (previous thread somewhere in here),engines, and computers.

so any help would be awesome.

I'm a motor head. I watch top gear :D Though... I have no clue what your going on about :p

I wouldnt be suprised if the motor was shot because it hasnt been started in so long. you maybe wanna take the motor apart if u could clean out all the gunk that probaly built up and get some new replacement parts.

first tip, take out the spark plug.

rest it against the engine and kick it, (the start, not just kick the bike).

this wil give you two tests,
if you see a spark (should be white), the you know that the A the magneto is working, and b, the spark plug is fine...

it'll also let you inspect the cylinder to see if the gunk that was in the fuel tank is also in the engine.

it'll also be a lot easier to kick without any compression in the cylinder.

Why were you taking out the clutch?
was the back wheel moving as you kicked it? if not then it's in neutral anyway, and you shouldn't be all that bothered about taking bits apart unless you know for sure they are broken.

root said:
Why were you taking out the clutch?
was the back wheel moving as you kicked it? if not then it's in neutral anyway, and you shouldn't be all that bothered about taking bits apart unless you know for sure they are broken.

i was thinking about something else.

but you know what.
i didnt even check the plug in the frst place. there should be a spark because i had the thing running in November. but ill check, thanks

Ive a 76 kawasaki 100... i think its a 100 but i know its a 76... it runs like a beaut...

Check the Spark Plug Gap and that the plug itself is clean... about 5 passes with a little sand paper should do the trick... soft passes as you dont want to take the metal just the crap on it... then check the gap... because if it turns over fine... you should be good to go as far as other gunk... then youve just gotta get er hot and rod it a little to clean her out.

Back
Top Bottom