How to Enable your L2

Status
Not open for further replies.
ArrizX said:
I dont know, but I lied. I went ahead and did it. Seems to actually have a slight effect. Im going to add this here
http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=35435

The_Other_One said:
I'll try to find the link sometime... I'm just going off what someone told me, and he quoted it from a site. Do some googling, I'm sure you'll find it as well...

Doesnt matter.. Still try it it mit do somthing to your computer or do nothing

...If the value of this entry is 0, the system attempts to retrieve the L2 cache size from the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for the platform. If it fails, it uses a default L2 cache size of 256 KB. If the value of this entry is not 0, it uses this value as the L2 cache size.... This is not related to the hardware; it is only useful for computers with direct-mapped L2 caches. Pentium II and later processors do not have direct- mapped L2 caches. SecondLevelDataCache can increase performance by approximately 2 percent in certain cases for older computers with ample memory (more than 64 MB) by scattering physical pages better in the address space so there are not so many L2 cache collisions...

Actually, I seem to of been wrong about the Pentium III! Some of your might recall, OLD processors basically had no cache on the die. Rather, it's directly on the motherboard and/or on a riser card...

The_Other_One said:
...If the value of this entry is 0, the system attempts to retrieve the L2 cache size from the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for the platform. If it fails, it uses a default L2 cache size of 256 KB. If the value of this entry is not 0, it uses this value as the L2 cache size.... This is not related to the hardware; it is only useful for computers with direct-mapped L2 caches. Pentium II and later processors do not have direct- mapped L2 caches. SecondLevelDataCache can increase performance by approximately 2 percent in certain cases for older computers with ample memory (more than 64 MB) by scattering physical pages better in the address space so there are not so many L2 cache collisions...

Actually, I seem to of been wrong about the Pentium III! Some of your might recall, OLD processors basically had no cache on the die. Rather, it's directly on the motherboard and/or on a riser card...

Like I said
Doesnt matter.. Still try it it mit do somthing to your computer or do nothing

that prog also tells me my motherboard manufacturer. i tried to use that to o/c my cpu using clock gen but it hasnt seemed to do anything. stupid compaq pc!

ArrizX said:
X800, where did you get this info anyways?
I was bord. so I looked in the REGEDIT..and found that.. and I put 256 for my cpu and it went faster

The PC Guide Discussion Forums provides this info concerning that>>>

L2 cache tweak

This is only used for pre-Pentium 2 chips with direct-mapped L2 caches. The HAL in XP will correctly identify your L2 cache on any P2 or later processor (AMD included). This registry entry is not utilized for these later chips, so the value set is pointless.

From Microsoft Knowledge Base:

SecondLevelDataCache records the size of the processor cache, also known as the secondary or L2 cache. If the value of this entry is 0, the system attempts to retrieve the L2 cache size from the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for the platform. If it fails, it uses a default L2 cache size of 256 KB. If the value of this entry is not 0, it uses this value as the L2 cache size. This entry is designed as a secondary source of cache size information for computers on which the HAL cannot detect the L2 cache.
This is not related to the hardware; it is only useful for computers with direct-mapped L2 caches. Pentium II and later processors do not have direct- mapped L2 caches.

I know I said I was done here but I can not sit by while bogus BS is handed out as gospell. This "tweak" is totally unwarranted on modern CPU's.

setishock said:
The PC Guide Discussion Forums provides this info concerning that>>>

L2 cache tweak

This is only used for pre-Pentium 2 chips with direct-mapped L2 caches. The HAL in XP will correctly identify your L2 cache on any P2 or later processor (AMD included). This registry entry is not utilized for these later chips, so the value set is pointless.

From Microsoft Knowledge Base:

SecondLevelDataCache records the size of the processor cache, also known as the secondary or L2 cache. If the value of this entry is 0, the system attempts to retrieve the L2 cache size from the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for the platform. If it fails, it uses a default L2 cache size of 256 KB. If the value of this entry is not 0, it uses this value as the L2 cache size. This entry is designed as a secondary source of cache size information for computers on which the HAL cannot detect the L2 cache.
This is not related to the hardware; it is only useful for computers with direct-mapped L2 caches. Pentium II and later processors do not have direct- mapped L2 caches.

I know I said I was done here but I can not sit by while bogus BS is handed out as gospell. This "tweak" is totally unwarranted on modern CPU's.

so?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom