100mb/s connection disconnecting every 5 minutes?!?!?!?

Xiggy

Daemon Poster
k guys im getting pretty mad because when im on ne type of messenger my internet disconnects every 5 minutes but then i click reconnect and it works fine...also on battlefield2 it says problems with connection every 5 minutes or less and sometimes i loose connection to servers...now there is 3 other computers in this house on the router and none of them ever diconnect...could my ethernet card be messed up?!?!...is there ne other way of telling what is going on??!?!?!? thx :D...it also does it on the internet ...it will say connection interupted on firefox...so im getting really mad and would really appreciate some help...thx

Make sure you don't have any spyware or adware.
Also, make sure the other computers aren't downloading a lot of content. Sometimes when I'm using bit torrent on my laptop, my Internet on my pc slows to a crawl. Ping the router, and see what kind of response you get. It could be in the cable, the NIC, or the router port itself.

oh how can i ping the cable...also what is a NIC...and what is a bit torrent...sry i dont know that much about internet connections...mainly know about hardware... plz help

Don't ping the cable- not possible.
Ping the router. Start>Run type cmd by itself, and hit enter- a black screen comes up. Type "ping 192.168.1.1" without quotes and see if you get any replies. Try switching ports on the router.
A NIC= Network Interface Card, the port that's a little bigger than a phone jack that that your network cable plugs into.

Change your nic speed to 10 mbps half duplex...

BTW: your ethernet card is your nic. Like he said above network interface card

Make sure if you are on a cable connection, that you do not have any previous dsl software on your computer. dsl tries to keep the connection "alive" and has to send a sort of login at set intervals. if your running a cable connection with dsl software on your computer, then you will have this problem.

ok but my thing is 192.168.1.15...so do i ping that one...also would changing to 10mbps keep things smoother???...also should i change it too 10mbps on my router...and also where can i change it on my network card??? thx :D

also i pinged 192.168.1.15 and got 100% loss of packets...
then i pinged 192.168.1.1 and got 100% loss of packets....

guys thx for u help but i stilll need a little more...thx :D

alll i still need to know is how to change my NIC to 10mbps and a couple other things thx :D

try to ping 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.254.. if you get no reply from those try 192.168.1.254

ok i am pretty sure i my address for the router is 192.168.1.15 i have acsessed it with my dad to change settings before...how do i know if im opted for always on connetion? also normally i can type it into the internet window but it wont work ne more...i may call my dad to see what the ip is again..plz help...thx :D

edit: also i have a linksys router if taht helps ne thing...also i will try bf2 with the connection set at 10mbps full....:D

also what is the difference btwn 10mbps full or 10mbps half and there is the options for 100 it shows up like this in the dropbown box

10mbps half
10mbps full
100mbps half
100mbps full

now would half be like 50 or 5mbps??? or smaller bandwidth etc.???? thx :D...also i ahve it on full but which is better?? thx :D

Back
Top Bottom