LCD monitor

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hey fellas I recently bought an LCD 19" monitor widescreen from ACER. Now I leave my PC on for long hours. However my buddy told me that he used to work at Best Buy and they were told to turn off LCD monitors when not in use because they only have 12,000 hours of lifespan. Is this true?

Same, I dont think thats true. I leave my computer on almost all day, only turn it off when I go to sleep. Its still running fine, and im coming up on about 2 yrs.
He works at Bestbuy, like the people their know what they are saying... :rolleyes: , well most of them dont..Ur friend may be different, but I highly doubt that is true..

Ohh yeah..WELCOME TO CF, Enjoy ur stay :D

hmmm 12000 hours? Dev watch out cause 12000/18(minus 6 hours for sleeping) is still about 2 years (1 year and 300 days). i've never heard about the 12000 hour thing and i don't trust BestBuy more than....well....my dog, when it comes to computers.

EDIT: been looking around and can't find anything about the 12000 hour thing but i'm now hoping its true. but thats only cause the 19" LCD i just bought has a 3 year warrenty so i can burn it into the ground and then get a free replacement. :D

best buy is the only place where you can buy an fx5200 for 150 dollars..don't trust their geek squad...they're just a bunch of fat people eating your money...that 12000 hours thing is probably just some sham to make you buy more LCDs from them imo.

HAHah I feel the same way about them and CompUSA. I got into a pretty bug arguement with their computer tech there cause he was a moron!!! Is was something a 5th grader should know. Needless to say I proved him wrong and left without making any purchase.

I know there is a lifespan on the light source they use, yes, just like projectors have, yet I don't tihnk you can change the light on an LCD. I think its a tad bit more than 12,000 hours on most models though.

Yet, I wouldn't worry about the lifespan of the monitor, and I'd just carry on as normal. Its only an average after all.

Best Buy thinks they know it all. There is never a LCD screen lasting 12 000hrs in here. I've seen LCD screens running more than 4 years, always on. Turn off and turn on. They always work.

Plasma screens don't use backlights like lcd monitors do, so I think they last quite a bit longer.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom