PS3 Controller Rumors

Paradox1

Fully Optimized
Ok, So I was in a G4 Tech chat last night, And As I was getting off I read something about Sony icing the Boomerang controller concept. Anyone have any information on this? I didn't stay around to get any links, but that seems very odd, and it was more than just one person that was talking as though it was taken out, so it kinda has me worried.

Are we really going to have to use dualshocks on this thing? lol

The boomarang controller idea got scrapped I believe because no one likes it.

The new one looks almost exactly like the PS2 version yet with a guide button (Like the Xbox 360) in the middle, and a USB port at the top for plugging it in to recharge, and to play wired (otherwise, wireless).

The two back shoulder buttons are also a bit bigger and have more precision (10 bits of pressure, rather than 8 for racing games for example).

The shocks now though have been taken away (a big change), and there will be NO vibration on the controller.

Instead, a 6 way movement sensor has been put in it (almost like Wii, but with no position sensors so won't work the same way). This is left and right motion, up down, and tilt I believe.

The reason vibration was took away, they said, was because of the movement sensor not reacting well with the vibration, and so they decided the movement was a better soloution to games.

The real reason I think is because of that courtcase they lost about the vibration.

But yes, the old boomerang controller has now gone.

More word on the new one here:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705934p1.html

;_; No fair..... I was gonna impress chicks by throwing it and making it come back to me... ;_;

But yeah, What courtcase are we talking about?

The boomerang is out, and the DualShock is back in. Except, of course, that the new PS3 DualShock doesn't shock, and instead lets you shake it around to play. Unexpected? Yes. Disappointing? Perhaps. Plagiarism? We won't comment on that just yet...
DualShock... awww.. :(

Plagiarism XD Nice

Oh, check out this image at whysonywhy.ytmnd.com its funny

"Sony can continue to sell its Playstation2 games console in the United States, despite an injunction made by a California Court last week ordering it to stop.

The judge, in a California court, upheld a ruling last September that Sony had infringed patents held by Immersion Technology on force feedback controllers. At the time, the court ordered Sony to pay Immersion damages of $82m, a figure based on sales of the PS2 Stateside. The award was updated to $90.7m last week. The judge also ordered Sony to stop selling or importing PS2 consoles, but immediately suspended the judgment pending the outcome of an anticipated appeal.

Immersion's haptic technology first appeared in a PC joystick in 1996, and with Microsoft the company developed the DirectX force feedback API. But the two subsequently fell out, with Microsoft named as the joint-defendent in the Sony action for infriging Immersion's IP in its Xbox console. However Microsoft settled, paying out $26m and taking a 10 per cent equity stake in the firm.

The decision doesn't affect the Playstation Portable"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/29/sony_immersion_injunction/

So most likely, they decided to give up on it as they didn't want to shell out more cash, or Immersion simply didn't let them use it, and would fret to sue them again.

I do understand somewhat how the vibration could mess up the movement sensor, but I don't think that was the inital problem.

Vibration has never really ever made it a better experience to me. First time my controller ever vibrated, I was like "WTF, mommy!"

Hehe, its true, while your playing a game, and immerced in it, you don't notice it anyway.

Like a mobile phone, you hear the vibrate more than you feel it.

A movement sensor is alot better in that case, and could work in games rather well. Though like I said, its nothing like the Wii controller in the way it works. It can't remember positions, so a tennis game wouldn't work for example. But a racing game would work VERY well.

Kage said:
Hehe, its true, while your playing a game, and immerced in it, you don't notice it anyway.

Like a mobile phone, you hear the vibrate more than you feel it.

A movement sensor is alot better in that case, and could work in games rather well. Though like I said, its nothing like the Wii controller in the way it works. It can't remember positions, so a tennis game wouldn't work for example. But a racing game would work VERY well.
Nah, on my mobile phone I can feel it vibrate more when someone calls. :D

Well I dont know.. I get really into my games, I move that controller all over the place, it might get messed up. I dont want to have to hold the thing steady

Back
Top Bottom