More info on realistic animations in games

Yes, i believe the technologies there to do that. Basically, these computer characters know whats around them and exactly how to use it, and since most of the animation isn't pre determined, the results will be different every time.

I mean, the computer characters even have muscle strength and can jump certain distances.

One clever example mentioned is that theres a moving tram, and a bad guy jumps, but misses and catches hold of the side, but can't get enough grip to get up.
To make it so he can, he smashes one of the trams windows in with his feet, uses the window gap as leverage, and lifts himself up onto the top of the tram, and all that isn't pre-programmed. The character just knows how to use it, and so, in game, these things would happen all the time, giving you a certain feel of randomness, which games sometimes need.

Thats how clever it is!

Even your in game character will react to certian situations differently each time. Getting knocked, falling over, etc, and would make a very smooth play indeed.

Only one thing.. How do we make controls that allow us to utilize those objects?

That's something I know that I've always had a problem with, Limited manuverability. I mean, how do you tell your guy "bash window in, stick foot in window, lift with legs," without memorizing an agonizingly long list of combos similar to how you would in Dead or Alive

That would be the computer player doing that, not yours (least not in the example)

But yeah, I do get what you mean. Thats the type of things games are missing isn't it...

We'll have to wait and see. More than likely, your player if he couldn't get enough grip, while you were pressing A to get him to rise up (which would sometimes happen), your game character would automatically think of a way of getting it done.

Kage said:
EUPHORIA:

"The first, called Euphoria, deals strictly with character behavior and artificial intelligence. It lets NPC characters interact with their environment realistically. Beyond this, it grants them the tools and intelligence necessary to accomplish their own agendas, whether that's helping Indy or trying to kill him.
Throughout the entire demo, enemies reacted differently to every attack. Every time Indy grabbed someone and tossed him through a window or door, he'd react differently. And that's because there isn't a single canned animation in the entire game. Behavioral intelligence dictates every gesture, punch, kick and grapple. Say you punch an enemy and he falls. Not only will he fall differently ever time, but he'll also stand up differently also. Enemies will use tables, cars or anything else available to stand up. And again, it's not a canned animation. Enemies simply know that it's the easiest way they'll get back up. As such, you'll toss villainous thugs through all manners of stuff and they'll try to recover from your attacks with whatever is available."

DIGITAL MOLECULAR MATTER:

"In addition to Euphoria, Indiana Jones will also feature a technology dubbed Digital Molecular Matter. It lets materials in the environment react like their real-world counterparts. Wood buckles and splinters realistically. Ice and glass cracks and shatters. And metal bends and dents under extreme force. The effect is far cooler than it sounds. Sure, you've seen wooden crates bust open before, and you've seen glass shatter. But up until now, most environmental destruction has been the result of pre-defined animations and texture work. And even when it didn't, it never considered real-world physical properties."
Okay, that sounds so cool! :D

Back
Top Bottom