Help on ATI Drivers in Hard Drive

Siphon

Baseband Member
Let's say that I have a hard drive that has old ati drivers for an agp card and I want to reuse it in a new computer that has a new pci-e ati card. Would it be able to boot up fine with the new pci-e card, and would I be able to enter windows and uninstall the old drivers and then install the new ones? Or would the video be all screwy because of the old drivers?

uhh you would have to install the drivers for that card. you cant use USB drivers for an Ethernet card, and thats basicly what you are trying to do

YES I know its a video card, but you cant use drivers from a completely different peice of hardware, it wont work, thats what i ment, but didnt think i had to explain it

If the old drivers are a Catalyst driver, e.g. 4.2 or something there is a good chance that the PCI-e card is not supported in that release, you would have to find the driver release number and check the supported cards list. Personally I'd boot to safe mode, uninstall the video driver, install some later Cats.

yeah i wasn't planning to use the drivers, i just wanted to know if i could boot it up fine into windows to uninstall it and install the new a correct ones

ohhh ok LOL sorry, I thought you ment use the same drivers, no that should be fine, windows will boot into VGA mode and then allow you to install the drivers without any problems.

Back
Top Bottom