Choices we should consider when getting Windows Vista

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Since Windows is such a common software, I thought putting this thread here in the General Software section would be a nice fit.

As you all know, there are 6 different versions of Vista. For us power users (which most of us are), we only need to worry on the two version called the Vista Ultimate or the Vista Home Premium. Please note that you MUST have a minimum of 1GB RAM!!!!!! Yes, I'm not joking. The other versions require a minimum of just 512MB for RAM. For those two versions I listed above, you must have a minimum of 128MB video card with DX 9.0c. The higher, the better of course.

Don't worry about the other versions of Vista. They're mainly for businesses and servers in which most of us don't use unless you run a business of course or just for the hell of it. There is a Basic Edition that is completely stripped down. There is no Aero interface support and is rather dull. PLEASE, don't get this. You might as well keep Windows XP if you're stooping down to that. Vista support all support 32 bit software and 64 bit software except for the Basic Edition or Starter Edition. It will cost abot $50 for upgrade to the Basic Edition. The Ultimate (the one I'm getting) is around $300 for the upgrade. It will support our 64 bit CPUs of course.

Basic Edition is really for those who need something cheap and easy to use. It's not for power users.

$300 for the upgrade to Ultimate version of Vista!! Wow, that's a lot of money.....I guess I won't be upgrading anytime soon!

The final price hasn't been set though. It may be around there. The Ultimate Edition is the mother of all the different versions. Man, I wish I would've bought that magazine so I can put some more info. There was a breakdown chart that tells you what each version can do and what it can't do. Lots of great info. I may buy it tomorrow and I'll post back here. There was also a huge article on the FBDIMM too that I need to update back here.

There are screenshots in there for Vista and it looks sweet. I know I said it before and holding out on it, but just looking at the screenshots, I change my mind. That thing is completely revamped. The interface looks so different. It is a huge upgrade as we finally move away from the old 32 bit support and the looks of the traditional Windows to something different.

maybe next year after vista out i will think about trying to build my first computer.....wouldn't want to spend the money on vista on this dell dimension 3000 with 32 bit processor, and pci graphics card that i have now (plus i need to increase my ram).

Oh definitely. Like I tell everyone. Get Vista installed on new PCs. You'll need the power to run the higher editions of Vista.

Well they're always expensive when first released. Windows XP cost about that much when it first released back in 2001. I'll just wait for Service Pack 3 to come out for Windows XP and patiently wait for Windows Vista to gradually get cheaper. :D

But it looks soooo good. They have all these pretty little icons now and you can also see the contents of the window while browsing. I think you can also preview what's inside a directory before you even open up the folder!! We kind of have that now with Thumbnail view, but Vista is suppose to further enhance that. I just love the way it looks and the fact that it's "64-bit". Yessss. That 1GB is huge on resources though. I better get ready for some fast RAM when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom