guide request

First you need to make sure you have the necessary hardware to even begin this. I recommend wireless since it's we're living in the world of cordless devices, plus it's more convienent and less cable mess to worry about. For Internet sharing, make sure you have broadband service. Of course, you will have a DSL/Cable modem given to you by your ISP. Depending on how many PC's you have in the house, you will need to get a wireless adapter for each PC. Wireless USB or PCI adapters are acceptable with the USB version being the easiest to install. My preference for brands are: Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys in no particular order.

It is best to get all hardware through the same manufacturer, but if you must mismatch them, it should be ok too. Wireless protocol 802.11b/g are universal anyways, lol. You will also need a wireless router which you can get on Newegg. That enables mutliple nodes (network devices or PCs) to communicate with one another and act as a Gateway for Internet portal. Man I sound like a nerd.

Hook up your DSL/Cable modem to you wireless router and make sure all your PCs have wireless adapter installed. Your network will begin to work instantly. However, this doesn't allow you to integrate file and print sharing just yet, only Internet. Enable File and Print Sharing individually on all PCs to do that. There's a wizard and it's real straightforward. Make sure you have a consistent naming scheme and share the same workgoup.

uid=[0] said:
For the most part im sure it will work the same, you might have a few differences, however as far as i know when it comes to home networking, xp home has the same tools as pro

Depends on what you define as home networking

Home doesnt have active directory support... And no password protected shares...

i tried, but i couldnt get my other computers wireless card to pick up the network. its so friggin gay. i did the network setup wizard on both of them, and it cant find it!!!!!!

I forgot one step. Click on Network COnnections in the Control Panel and you'll see the File and Print Sharing wizard. Sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom