how long is it safe to leave my lappy on?

GreatHype

Daemon Poster
I have a compaq presario R4000 and I wanna leave it on for a while. How long do you think I could leave it on for before it becomes unsafe?

I leave my beast on for the entire day, it runs at around 80C but it has lived for 3 years so far lol.

when i'm downloading something i'll leave mine on till its done but i try and turn it off for at least a few hours a day to combat all the crazt heat. i used to set it on my lap in winter to warm me up. :) i wouldn't advise leaving it on for many days in a row with no cooldown but a lot depends on the ambient temp.

well i'll try and keep the temp below 55. It wont be doing anything so the cpu doesnt have t shovel out programs and stuff like that.

Dont worry about it. Its going to keep running. Although running it like a server (on 24x7) is no good.

Wake up, turn it on. Turn it off go to sleep. Leave it on all day, and just let it go to hibernation when you sleep or something of that variation.

Linux Guru said:
I leave my beast on for the entire day, it runs at around 80C but it has lived for 3 years so far lol.
DAMN :eek: That's hot!

Well, I think heat's the main problem, but also the 2.5" harddrives seem to have a rather short life. If you could keep the HD spun down, I would.

You could leave it on, and set it to standby when the lid is closed?

Or buy a notebook cooler..

Or do both..

My dads lappy had a HD failure not to long ago thankfully I was able to bring it back. The problem was heat we have since tooken care of that. I would never recommend letting a PC run for more then 3 or 4 days. Give is a rest everyonce in a while.

Nik00117>You mean a laptop right?

If you have a good airflow you'll be fine.

I use hard drive coolers, and while everyone elses hard drives are at like 35C, mine is at 15C.

They are really useful.

Back
Top Bottom