yay! Help me decide

joe pic

Fully Optimized
Alright, so we're moving this summer, and I'd figure it would be nice to get a job. So yesterday we went out to see the house and we passed mcdonalds with a "now hiring" sign out. so of course, I go in and get an application, fill it out and hand it in. the manager said he'd call for an interview. So I was really excited. Hopefully I get enough money. I have $700 atm, and actually i'm going to mow 2 lawns today and maybe i'll have close to $800 after that.

With the job, I hopefully should get enough money to get a new rig when the summer is over. I'm shooting for $2500 with some from mom and dad. So i'll need to make as much as i can at the job. How much do you think I would make if I worked the whole summer? I've been saving since September for this thing, and hopefully i'll get the money at the end of the summer. I'm not sure what specs to get though.

I want to spend all the money that I'll have at the end of the summer.

I was thinking if I have like close to $2500 with the help of my parents I could get an AMD athlon X2 4400, 2 gigs of RAM and a geforce 7900GT. I can't wait. I hope this guy calls for an interview. what do you guys think?
how future proof do you think that PC would be? since i'm spending so much on it, I want it to last, but I just want your opinions.

Yes, good idea. Everyone starts off working at fast food joint. Even me. I worked at McDonald's for quite awhile. Doesn't pay much, but it's great for high school students. When I applied, I got interviewed right there on the spot after filling out the application. Then I was hired right after the interview. Fast huh? I started the a week after the interview. It's an easy job, but lots of work. I was running cashier, making coffee, some light cleaning, restocking comdiments, making fries, hash browns, and sometime drive through when it's light in the morning. Easy stuff. You'll get the routine down in no time. "Hello, thank you for choosing McDonald's. What can we make for you?" That's what I use to say at Drive through customer. IT depends on which McDonald's you work at.

oh my god. wow, that is a lot of work. but how much do you think they would let a 15 year old work in the summer?

I think you have to be 16 to work. That's the legal age for work here in California and in the state of Utah too. They will pay you minimum wage and here in California, it's $7.25 per hour. You are flexible with your hours. They know most people working there are students so they allow a lot of flexibility. Oh, if you can work more hours, that's even better. Better for them, better for you because you get more money. I know it sounds like a lot but when you get everything down to a routine, it's a piece of cake. When things are slow, we make whatever we want to eat. I never worked in the grill area. I'm always up front greeting the customers. The new touchpad computer registers are so much easier to use than the old ones so you should have no problem learning it.

yeah, well they let minors work here in NY, and minumum is only 6.75 =(
oh well, but they let you work a lot of hours? I want to work as much as I can so I can get this computer. I figured 30 hours a week would get me $1800, that and $800 would get me around $2600. Do you think I could do it? The more money I get, the more I could spend on the computer. how future proof and vista-proof do you think that PC would be?

Yes. As much hours as you want. Just let them know what time you can work. That's the way it was at my McDonalds. Of course the more money you make, the more tax they take out. So you won't be making those figures exactly. If you work full time all day, you will be making a lot of money for a high school student. You'll be making less than $900 a month though, and that's working an 8 hour day, 5 days a week. Work for a few months and you'll be able to build yourself a nice PC.

Here's my opinion on Vista. It will be very new, but I personally don't think it will last long. Vista is already stripped down using the NTFS format. There will be a major revision to it, perhaps in a new service pack or a 2nd Edition. THat's again, rumors I heard from people at work. I'm hesitant to get the first release of Vista. Maybe wait awhile after Vista comes out to see what Microsoft plans to do. If you have the money to get it, then Vista would be sweet to have. Like most OS, there's always bugs and constant improvements that need to be made.

Back
Top Bottom