is there a program that allows u to shut down your computer

windows XP has a command that is shutdown...
Usage: shutdown [-i | -l | -s | -r | -a] [-f] [-m \\computername] [-t xx] [-c "comment"] [-d up:xx:yy]

No args Display this message (same as -?)
-i Display GUI interface, must be the first option
-l Log off (cannot be used with -m option)
-s Shutdown the computer
-r Shutdown and restart the computer
-a Abort a system shutdown
-m \\computername Remote computer to shutdown/restart/abort
-t xx Set timeout for shutdown to xx seconds
-c "comment" Shutdown comment (maximum of 127 characters)
-f Forces running applications to close without warning
-d [p]:xx:yy The reason code for the shutdown
u is the user code
p is a planned shutdown code
xx is the major reason code (positive integer less than 256)
yy is the minor reason code (positive integer less than 65536)

so you want to shedule this:

"shutdown -s -f"

for 5:00am in the morning.

LOL yea thats fine and all, but if he cant figure out task schedular do you think that would be a good way to go root?

Hmm...

The task scheduler is just a series of next buttons,
and it's not hard to create a batch file with the line that I suggested above and schedule that...

the only other way I can think of how to do this would be to download some sort of program that would do it for him.

or to click start, press run and typ shutdown -i

then he cuold set the shutdown time before he goes to bed, (assuming he's manually statring the downloads.

assum you go to slep at midnight, set thecomputer to shutdown, and set the delay (in seconds for)
5 (hours) *60 (minutes) * 60 (seconds) = 18000 seconds...

then five hours later, (once you are sleeping) your computer will shut it's self down,

this is probably better in some respects because,
a) you get to tell it when to shutdown, if there is three hours left on your download, you can make it turn off in three hours rather than five.
b) it won't turn off when you don't want it to, (e.g if you've gotten up early to complete an asignment and forgotten that yuo'd scheduled that task.

root said:
Hmm...

The task scheduler is just a series of next buttons,
and it's not hard to create a batch file with the line that I suggested above and schedule that...

the only other way I can think of how to do this would be to download some sort of program that would do it for him.

or to click start, press run and typ shutdown -i

then he cuold set the shutdown time before he goes to bed, (assuming he's manually statring the downloads.

assum you go to slep at midnight, set thecomputer to shutdown, and set the delay (in seconds for)
5 (hours) *60 (minutes) * 60 (seconds) = 18000 seconds...

then five hours later, (once you are sleeping) your computer will shut it's self down,

this is probably better in some respects because,
a) you get to tell it when to shutdown, if there is three hours left on your download, you can make it turn off in three hours rather than five.
b) it won't turn off when you don't want it to, (e.g if you've gotten up early to complete an asignment and forgotten that yuo'd scheduled that task.

Hi thanks for the help i have gotten this far so far i went to Start run typed shutdown -i a window pops up now this is where i dont get it where do i type in the 18000 seconds do i add anything up the top of the box that poped up and do i write any comments down the bottom?

once again thanks for the help

where it says warn users of this action.

it's defaulted to 20 seconds, change the warning time to 18000 seconds

you don't have to put a comment, just change the reason to planned instead of unplanned, as soon as you pres OK, the warning time will start to countdown, after ths time your computer wil shut down.

(don't forget to add your computer name in the box at the top so it knows what computer to actually shutdown).

ok kool dats mad as thanks alot. Now if i just say wake up wat do i do to make it so it doesnt count down anymore

because my mum will crack it if i leave da comp on al night so if i do it the way root said shel never know. :p

if you want to abort the shutdown, simply click on start, press run and type

shutdown -a

Back
Top Bottom