how to format a partition...

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
... without destroying the data on the othere partiton? How can I do this. I have a program (fips) that wil partition my HDD without destroying data, but it will not format that partition. I want to be able to have a new formatted partition without destroying any data. (there isn't any data on the new partition.) thanks for your help.

Right click "My Computer" > Manage > Disk Management > Right click on partition. Format

ok. cuz I know I can run an install disk for linux, and usee the on-board partition, and it will work, but I don't have an install disk handy. (I use cd-rw's, and I just erased my last one a week ago to make backups.)

bring up a command prompt, and type in format X: (X: being the partition that needs to be formatted. do not use C: or you will whipe out windows.)

So use that command, but change X to the drive letter of the new partition

Example:

C:\>format X: (then press enter and it will prompt you yes or no, select yes.)

OK, heres how it works
I'll assume one of three scenarios

either A, you have a disk with a single partition, that is perhaps 25% full,
now you want to split the disk in half,

the trouble is that you can't create a new partiton in the space of an old parition without first removing the old partition, (and hence the data).

B, you have two partitions
(system and data), now you want to make the data parition a little smaller so that you can have a partition labled backup.

unfortunatly you're in the same problem as above, you can't resize a partition using the windows tools, you'd have to delete the partition and then create a new one,
this isn't so bad if you can fit all of your data onto the first partition, cause you can then happily move all data, delete the seconds partition, create partitions 2 and 3, and then move the data back from partition1.

the last scenario is that you have a single disk, with a partition, but that partition only takes up a small part of the disk and you have free space left...

if this is the case.
Open the command propt and type Fdisk.
from here you can create a new partition in the freely available space

even with XP and the disk manager there you cannot resize partitions without having to loose data and posibly re-format.

to resize partitions that already have data on them, (or to resize system partitions). you have to use special software such as partition magic, or partition commander.

You would just be best going to XP - 98 is way old now.

What are the specs of the computer?

Back
Top Bottom