how does raid work?

Gamingfreak

Fully Optimized
i think i have a pretty good idea how this works but i just wanted to check with u guys, when u have one hard drive it doesnt transfer to nearly its peek (3Gbs for example) so by adding another hard drive into a raid configuration it can now send twice the amount of information at once? and the more u add the more hard drives u add into the configuration the more it can transfer right? so u can keep adding them until u run out of bandwidth (4 hard drives i think it is) is that right or am i completely wrong?

what makes raid 0 fast is it stripes the data to be written into two (or more) hard drives, which means that when the first hdd is finding the first data point the second has time to bring the next data point up and ready. that is raid 0. raid 1 is totally different and (i've never done it so i don't have first hand experience) i believe it is slower becuase raid 1 provides complete redundancy meaning it copys all data twice to 2 seperate hdds. the rest would take too long to explain but anyway check out wikipedia.org, thats where i got all my info.

also, i'm not totally sure but i believe the speed is not a factor of the bandwidth but of the number of hdds working together.

Back
Top Bottom