Question about flaps on I/O shield

EricM

Daemon Poster
How important are those little tiny flaps used to ground the inputs and outputs on the motherboard? I didnt know what they were at first so i bent them back a bit and most of them fell off. :rolleyes: so are they really important for grounding the metal parts of the inputs and outputs?

Yes i figured that out AFTER i moved them out of the way and broke them! i just thought they were left there from manufacturing.

Rip/cut the darn things off if your afraid they'll mess something up. Or just take the whole sheild off. It won't hurt anything to run without it, just might not have the best airflow.

oh so they really arent necessary to ground the metal of the inputs and outputs?

The stock metal I/O panel that comes with the case is just a cover. Break it off and install the one that comes with motherboard. If you get lucky, you'll get a motherboard that matches the stock panel but I haven't seen that yet. You don't even need the plates on there. More ventilation, lol. It just helps to cover the case up better so you don't see all those electronics in there. It makes it easier for dusting too, if it's off. Just blow air right through it. I'm sure fan circulation won't be affected in anyway.

I know to break off the i/o shield that comes with the case :p. I am talking about those little metal flaps that touch the metal boxes.

figure68.jpg

if you look at the vga outputs on that picture i found on the net, you see these 8 flaps extending back that touch the actual metal box. they are also on the usb ports too. those were the flaps that i broke off by accident so i guess they arent important for grounding the metal boxes that house the inputs and outputs.

Back
Top Bottom