1 HDD vs 2 HDD

english15x

BSOD
Well i'm going to be ordering the last order for all my computer parts here shortly and i still cant decide what to do for my hdd's now i know im buying a wd raptor but i wanted to ask for some help around the forums since everyone is so very nice here :D

here's my question

should i do setup ...

#1 .
WD Raptor 150 GB 10k rpms
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Shopping/ShoppingItem.asp?ItemList=N82E16822136012

TOTAL $275.00

or !

# 2.
WD raptor 36 GB 10k rpms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144200
(use for OS, applications, and games)

plus ....

Seagate Barracuda 300 GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148131
(For music, photos, videos, etc)

TOTAL $208.99

I would go with 2, because you install your OS on the primary, and store files on the slave, so that you dont degrade the performance of the system as fast.

Depends what you want.

I think Option 2 is probably your best bet though.

36GB is plenty for the OS, applications, and a few games.

300GB then is left for everything else, and I find that fills up more than installing games or anything will.

Though I guess it depends how much you play games, and how many you'd want to install, because if you wanted to install an awful lot, and wanted them all on the fast drive, you'd have to go for the first option.

I'm not really sure if going for a 10,000RPM drive gives much extra performance over a fast 7,200RPM drive though, and would never go for a raptor for the price, but its your decision.

PARTITION:

If you did get the 1st decision, I would definietly create an extra partition. One for the OS, and then another for the rest, to keep them seperate if anything went wrong.

CONCLUSION:

Personally though, definietly the 2nd option, as its probably better anyway, plus you get ALOT more space for your money's worth, and still end up with a fast drive for games.

I'd probably have 5 games max on it.

also ... Is everything compatable, sorry im still pretty new to building and such...

i have a asus a8n5x mobo

it says this for my storage on newegg

Storage Devices
PATA 2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices
PATA RAID NV RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD
SATA 1.5 Gb/s 4
SATA RAID NV RAID 0/1/0+1 JBOD

Yes, it would be compatable, I'm pretty sure :p

If your going to have 5 games max, and want other media, definietly go for the 2nd option :) It'll be great for you, and you shouldn't have to ever worry about space issues.

Plus, if you did want more games, once the Raptor was running low, most older games (come on, you must play some), will be fine on the 300GB.

But yeah, If I were you, the 2nd!

uid=[0] said:
I would go with 2, because you install your OS on the primary, and store files on the slave, so that you dont degrade the performance of the system as fast.

Yeah dude id go with this setup :) that way if you lose youre operating system all you have to do is reinstall windows and not worry about losing all fo youre main stuff

Well he could always create partitions (which I advise anyway using any hard drive to split data up) to seperate them, but yes, the second option is definietly the best.

Back
Top Bottom