Quick Question

tekzilla

Solid State Member
I've been thinking about this for some time now: Is is alright to leave your computer on for days? I'm worried that my CPU or something will fry if I do so.

I do know that processors have a built-in cooling system but is that really reliable if you leave your computer on for days-on-end?

Thanks

I've been in the tech world for a while, and I've never seen a processor with a "built-in" cooling system. Processors do come with heat sink and fans, or water cooling kits, but they're not "built-in". To answer your question, yes, it is perfectly fine to leave your computer on for days on end. You do want to monitor your cpu temp from time to time, and there are free programs out there that do this, I use Everest Home Edition, which can only be found at certain Web sites. Just make sure your computer is in the coolest room in the house, and you shouldn't have a problem, unless a fan goes out, and if it does, there is usually a sensor that will tell you so.

I have a laptop that I leave on pretty much 24/7 Even though I have my Antec Notebook Cooler cooling my laptop when I am at home, it appears like nothing is affected it seems fine to me

pctechmike said:
I've been in the tech world for a while, and I've never seen a processor with a "built-in" cooling system. Processors do come with heat sink and fans, or water cooling kits, but they're not "built-in". To answer your question, yes, it is perfectly fine to leave your computer on for days on end. You do want to monitor your cpu temp from time to time, and there are free programs out there that do this, I use Everest Home Edition, which can only be found at certain Web sites. Just make sure your computer is in the coolest room in the house, and you shouldn't have a problem, unless a fan goes out, and if it does, there is usually a sensor that will tell you so.

Where in everest does it say the temp, i have everest and it doesnt tell me ?

I honestly have no problems leaving my computer on all day.

Most likely, unless you are on it 24/7, the CPU won't be used 100% all the time anyway, so won't be using its full power for alot of the time, and so will have chances to cool down.

I'd leave it on all the time probably doing stuff if I didn't have it in my room.

But no, it shouldn't damage it what so ever.

You obviously don't have any temperature diodes in that case to monitor.

I'm sure you can buy them though, or, I'm pretty sure some CPU's have them built in. You just need software to activate it.

I for example have an ABIT motherboard, so have the UGuru clock, telling me temperatures all the time on an LED device.

Well, if your motherboard doesn't support the feature, then I'm afraid not :(

If you still have the motherboard box though, check if it is compatable with a UGuru device, in which case, if it is, you'd be able to connect one straight up to the motherboard.

If not, you can still buy temperature sensors, and then have an LED device yes, but it wouldn't be anything to do with the motherboard, and will be very hard to get temperature readings from the CPU doing it this way.

You are more likely doing it this way, only to get the room and probably ambient temperature of the case.

Back
Top Bottom