Tracert

Fisher

Fully Optimized
hello all i have recently changed ISPs from supanet 1mb to tiscali 2Mb ( in about the last 2 hrs i have just had it up and running). was just wondering when using tracert how many "stages" is the average for say getting from my comp (in west midlands UK) to the www.yahoo.co.uk is? or even if there is an average because of otehr different varibles?

it seems to come up with 9 in total for me

also was just playing abit of bf 2 and would join a game fine, ping looking good and then connection lost after about 5 mins. it did this for about 3 different servers (all UK EA ones)

12 hops from me (IoWight) to yahoo.co.uk, including the wonderful ''ge-5-1-0.lon22.ip.tiscali.net'' which seems to have been 'broken/down' since forever.
i was booted from BF2 a couple of times around midnight lastnight when the connection just 'died'. i checked pings to bbc.co.uk just after and they were in the 500's... maybe just some work going on, dunno.

have you had many problems with tiscali before? i have been going through the bf 2 forums and it seems loads of people are experiencing lost connection problems. i have never known a game to be so buggy

been with tiscali about 10 months. first 2 months were great. then since then it has been rather hit and miss in the evenings. i work from home and remote support/upload-download files in the evenings when my clients have gone home from work. i have have had warnings over my abuse of the Fair Use Policy until i explained my situation and they have since let me upload-download a reasonable amount without any more warnings (they have a 3 strikes....rule). That i have now accepted, but the crazy pings/dropped connections one night per week on average (usually around 22h-midnight) drives me nuts. And my recent dns problem when i couldnt even connect directly to my own website for 18 days (no work email!!!!) flipped me out nearly. Anyway, they fixed it, but i have had no explaination what happend, even after numerous requests.

Sounds all negative, but it shouldn't be, maybe i am unlucky.

ps; do not rely on phone/email support from them at all. it is pathetic. best bet it the Broadband Support forum on the tiscal uk community site. the employees/mods are very helpful.

fingers crossed for you (and bump upto 1.5meg of ram for BF2)

this fair use policy? does it limit you to the amount of bandwidth that you use? when i was with supanet i would use on average 2-4G aday (i download a lot of files and play alot of games online) i have a 2Mb unlimited line with tiscali so i would expect that i have an endless amount of bandwidth to go with it or maybe i should read the fine print

the FUP works between 6pm and midnight 7/7 (they may have changed it recently, so check up...) and you have to be careful. as far as i know they have no set limits, but they ask you to just surf, email, game. no p2p or heavy downloads during this time. outside of that, do as you want.

it was a real pain for me, i do alot of work in the evenings...

Back
Top Bottom