Nuclear power

Brookfield said:
What about Chernobyl, the radioactive cloud drifted right up the eastern side of England & when it rained it washed the poison into the fields, even now after 10 years, the grazing sheep can't be used for human consumption, then there's the fact that France have about senenty nuclear reactors, several of which are only thirty or forty miles from our country, & then there's Iran, but that's another story.

first post here. hi all.
Brookfield, i'm more worried about the nuclear stuff closer to home than in france etc. there'a a load stored in Pompie/Oldbury/Dungeness....

I think for the first time I've created a thread thats gone over 2 pages :p Go me :D

Haha, Nuclear power companies are trying to pay us to store some waste...

I'd gladly have them come by my house for 75,000 and dig a hole and put some nuclear waste in my back yard as long as the grass would remain green and none of us would be affected dby it. Think of it somthing along the lines of 75,000 for a letting some poeple dig in your back yard. It'd have to be high to convice poeple.

Haha, by getting to pay us to store some, I didn't mean my house :p

Just this bit worries me:

# After about two years, enough of the U-235 has been converted to fission products and the fission products have built up enough so that the fuel rods must be removed and replaced by new ones.

# What to do with the spent fuel rods is what causes most of the fuss concerning nuclear power.

So every 2 years, stuff has to be buried.

After 500 years, the fission products will be less radioactive than the uranium ore they are originally derived from. So I guess thats when its at a safe point. Still a long time.

The sooner Fusion comes along, the better really, as that has no downsides on paper really, and only generates water as a bi-product.

Back
Top Bottom